Fining/gel added to primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
I've been doing primary buckets then secondary carboys and using my fining agents exclusively within the secondary carboys.

I've recently made a few brews that I would like clear yet they are bucket/primary only brews only sitting a few weeks needed and will be kegged soon.

Are you guys using gelatin/Sparkelloid in a bucket primary? Does it work as well? Not worried about introducing all that new oxygen to the headspace?

AFAIK, there is no reason not to add it in the primary bucket. It will work just as well as it would in secondary.

As far as the Oxygen thing goes, you won't get any more exposure to oxygen by opening the bucket and then closing it than you would for opening the bucket, transferring it to a carboy and sealing that . . . even with the lower headspace in the carboy, the transfer process introduces more oxygen than simply opening a bucket lid. In fact, as you'll likely have a thick layer of CO2 on top of the bucket, you might be safe.

As long as you don't plan on washing or reusing your yeast there is no reason you can't use clearing agents in the primary. Just be sure the beer has reached FG.

Back