Fine Crush - Lotsa Particulates in Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumstigedy

Reaction score
Just tried out my new Barley Crusher with the default factory settings and I noticed that I got a very fine crush. My efficiency ended up in the high 80's and I didn't have any problem lautering.

A lot of fine particles made their way into the fermenter. Will this clear up after the beer sits for awhile? Should I crash cool it before racking to the keg?

Thanks in advance for your help!

They should drop out in time, a good crash cool will def help the situation.
A quick question, how much did you vorlauf? I usually collect about a gallon or so until it runs clear. I use a Barley Crusher as well, but I am conditioning my malt and crushing at .030" instead of the factory .039"

I vorlaufed almost a gallon before I started sparging. I was monitoring gravity periodically during the sparge and when I got to about 4 gallons I realized that my efficiency was significantly higher than I had planned and was worried about having too high of an OG so I cranked open the valve to speed things up and hopefully reduce the efficiency for the remainder of the sparge. The fine flour like particles appeared in the kettle after this. FYI - I was fly sparging with a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler with a false bottom.

I batch sparge and I have noticed that if the valve is cracked open much over 50% that I start to get particles in the wort, I have adjusted my grain bill to comp for the higher eff.

Latest posts

Back