Find a Bee Keeper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
So I looked up bee keepers with my Zip code and called one in my town....Told him I was looking for honey to make Mead.

Guy said he'll give me all the honey I want for mead...GIVE!
Free!!

You guys should look into this if you don't already.

Where are you located? I am looking to do my first batch of Mead and free honey would be awesome! I am in Conshohocken...

I got lucky. I saw him in clinic. XD Either way, I don't get free honey. I get cheap honey, but I think I'm going to give beekeeping a try.

Congratulations.

I am not a commercial bee keeper, I'm in it for myself, but I can tell you this:

It can be expensive with loss of colonies, disease, and other 'natural' demises, so try to compensate him in some way if you can.

A lot of beekeepers make most of their money from pollination, not the honey itself, so they may have plenty around but may regret the offer over time.

My plan was to maintain a modest production supply to close friends and family. Well, word got around and I had strangers coming around asking for it. Now, I won't even sell anything to anyone, never mind give.

Just my $0.02 and personal view point...may be totally non-applicable. If so, go with it!

I agree w/ Erick...the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread opening is: "You should throw this guy at least 5 bucks a pound!"
or several bottles. the guy may just want some free booze. either way, sounds like a potential friend.

Beekeeping, like home brewing, is a fascinating hobby though it, too, can be pretty consuming (pun intended). I harvested 50# in my first season and dedicated 15 pounds of it to my first mead. I highly recommend beekeeping to other "serial hobbyists". Like any good hobby there's alot to learn, but if you're interested and you enjoy learning new things, it's worth giving it a go.

Oh yeah I am sorry...I would never give the guy nothing for it!
I haven't gotten the honey...like April I'll get it and I will offer him either some cash or some Mead :mug:
Yeah I was just making the point that instead of just going to walmart and buying honey you can get stuff from the local keeper. Thanks for all the responses!

Eww....sprawlmart honey.

They probably get that adulterated chinese crap.

It's an older article:
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/394053_honey30.asp

But it's still applicable.

Oh yeah I am sorry...I would never give the guy nothing for it!
I haven't gotten the honey...like April I'll get it and I will offer him either some cash or some Mead :mug:
Yeah I was just making the point that instead of just going to walmart and buying honey you can get stuff from the local keeper. Thanks for all the responses!

Agree with the posts about getting started for yourself. But I would like to add one thing, and that's this: If you're really only going to produce for your own consumption, consider alternatives to the standard Langstroth hives (the ones with which we're all familiar). I've got NUTTIN' against Langstroth's, other than the relatively high initial expense if you're buying everythin new. I can almost guarantee that someone's going to take issue with me on that statement. :) Also, there's the storage for supers, additional tools (you think this is the only addictive hobby?!?!?! lol!), space for all of it.... BUT - look into the various top bar hives (TBH), especially the Kenyan Top Bar Hive. It won't necessarily compare with the honey output of a langstroth hive, but it's free (if you use old lumber) or nearly free, easy to make, simple management practices, and --- well, look it up. Also the Warre' hives. Like I said, they're alternatives, not necesarily "better." If money's not an issue, do whatever you like, but if you want or need to do it for as little as possible, check them out.

This spring, I'll have at least 1 (likely 2) KTBH, 1 Warre', and 1 Langstroth hive. I have no intentions of using them to compare honey production especially since I probably won't even have the same breeds in all the hives, I just want to get a feel for each type of structure and management style. Um, and for the honey, of course! I have fairly large garden (90' X 188'), we're surrounded by 92 acres of orchard (mostly apples, some pear and plum also), I grow grapes, and buckwheat (I turn it under as a green manure/soil structure builder after it goes to seed, then run a disk over it and I get a second crop - for free!), tobacco (nice to have additive free, including the addictive stuff - even though I quit smoking back in June '97 and don't intend to start up again, the tea and powder are great pest-specific insecticides), and billions of wildflowers within bee range; also, in the neghboring woods we have great numbers of basswood, wild cherry, etc, and in the spring the forest floors are carpeted with trillium, trout lilies, bloodroot and cutleaf toothwort... lots of others.... someone once told me, back more than 40 years ago, that honey from trillium was supposed to be "almost medicinal" for your health and that it tasted wonderful. Never had it, never heard of it from anyone else. Maybe this year I'll know for myself.

Anyways, if you've got even a little room, I say go for it, just learn all you can and make sure not to get greedy and leave the bees with too-little stores for overwintering.

$5 a pound?! wow, I get mine wholesale from a local honey vendor called Madahava for about $2.00 or so a pound. I buy in 42 pound buckets though. They gave me wholesale prices because I explained what I do with it and don't resell it or sell the mead, no licence. But for home use and so I get the deal. So from a beekeeper that is offering for free, I would prob do like a free sixpack of 12 oz bottles (I get abou 8 six packs out of a 5 gal batch) or give him a dollar a pound. Yes it may seem cheap but when you can actually get the honey that cheap elsewhere well...

Anyway, hope it goes well. Any way of telling what variety the honey is?
Would a hobby beekeeper keep track of that?

Latest posts

Back