Finally solved my pump problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler2you

Reaction score
I've been struggling with getting my recently acquired Chugger to work properly for the past week. I bought it mainly so I could do a post boil whirlpool to improve cooling and reduce trub transferred to my primary. I installed the pump in an enclosure with a cooling fan. With the pump sitting on the ground, it would move water up to within about 3 inches of the whirlpool port and stop. If I disconnected the hose and brought it down to pump level, it would pump fine.

I searched the threads, called Chugger, shortened hoses, moved the pump, changed orientation, removed elbows, moved the bleeder valve from input to output, etc. all to no avail.

I came across a thread where someone was having trouble because their magnetic drive wheel was too far out on the shaft and causing binding. I decided to see if adjusting mine would have any impact. What I found is that I had it adjusted so that the set screw was pressing on the very back of the flat section of the shaft. I moved it forward approx. 3 mm and reassembled everything. Well, everything now works like a charm. I guess the magnetic drive wheel was too far back and not fully engaging the pump head.

Just wanted to share my experience in the event that it may help someone else troubleshoot a problem.

Glad you got it working. I use Chugger's but haven't had any issues. Good to know for reference.

Couple of pics of my setup

dcaade.jpg

2eaqmc7.jpg

Back