Finally got the go ahead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knucklesbrew

Reaction score
Finally got the go ahead from SWMBO to buy both a chest freezer for fermentation and a kegerator. I had a couple questions about both of these. Has anyone heard any pros/cons of the GE and Kenmore 7.2 cu ft ones (have to stick with the 7.0 or 7.2 cu ft for the smaller footprint)? The GE seems to be 1.5 inches taller and the Kenmore is a bit deeper and wider. I think I would have to use a blow off with both of them so was thinking of going with the Kenmore as there seems to be a little more room for two carboys.

For the kegerator, I'm really leaning towards the Kegco K199B-2 dual faucet from the beverage factory. The website says that it can support two D system, ball lock, or pin lock 1/6 bbl kegs. Is there an advantage to having one of the three types of kegs over the other? They have a sale on two new ball lock rubber top kegs right now. Thanks a lot for any input, can't wait to get them. I want to order everything today so that they can be here by next weekend in time for me to keg the vanilla cream ale i brewed for her :mug:

Sanke kegs are nice, but they're hard to find for a reasonable price and harder to clean. As for the Corny kegs, there's no real advantages either way between ball lock and pin lock. Pin locks are cheaper. They're also slightly shorter and wider, which could make a difference for a keezer, but you're planning on a kegerator, so either will work. And it's easy enough to convert back and forth, anyway. I've got a few of each and it takes all of 3 minutes to switch over.

By the way, check with your gas supplier before buying a CO2 tank. Most places just do exchanges on the standard 5 pounders, so the shiny new aluminum one you paid good money for becomes a rusty old steel POS the first time you run out of gas.

i have the GE 7 cu ft one from Home Depot and it fits 2x 6 gallon plastic carboys in there.

Id advise to go with a Keezer and not a kegerator. I have a kegerator and now i kind of wish i went with a Keezer... you will want more taps eventually. you can do 7 cu ft chest freezer into a keezer and have 4 taps and fit 6 corny kegs.

When you get the chest freezer for fermentation, be sure its big enough for 2 fermenters. I bought a single and wish I hadn't. Also, bring a fermenter with a lid and an airlock to the store to be sure it fits comfortably. Have you selected your temp controller yet?

i have the GE 7 cu ft one from Home Depot and it fits 2x 6 gallon plastic carboys in there.

Id advise to go with a Keezer and not a kegerator. I have a kegerator and now i kind of wish i went with a Keezer... you will want more taps eventually. you can do 7 cu ft chest freezer into a keezer and have 4 taps and fit 6 corny kegs.

I actually went the opposite way. Got a great deal a few years back on a commercial kegerator with dual towers and 5 taps, so I snapped it up. Aside from a party or two, I've never had more than 2 beers on tap at any given time. Now I'm thinking of getting a small keezer / kegerator.

Check the equipment section.. .I posted a great deal with a coupon code on a large 8.8 cu ft Kenmore freezer at sears for like $250.

j1n.....how tight of a fit is it with the plastic carboys? I have one glass one now and will be getting another in the near future and want to make sure I don't have to jam them in there. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't find a store in my area that has either the GE or Kenmore in stock so that I can measure it out. I have read a lot of posts by people that have the GE freezer and they are able to fit two carboys in it (just haven't seen anyone say how tight it was specifically with glass carboys) and the Kenmore has a bit more room width and depth wise (just 1.5 inches shorter vertically) so I feel safe that they will fit in there if they fit in the GE. Are you also able to use an airlock with the GE one? I measured mine as it sits in the bathtub and it was right around 28.5 inches to the top of the airlock. I'm fine with having to put blow off tubes from both running in to a container sitting on the hump if needed and will not have any problems with the secondary if needed as its only 5 gallons.

As far as getting a keezer instead of the kegerator, that won't really be an option at this time, at least until we move in to a bigger house. I'm fine with having two beers on tap for the time being.

I haven't decided on a temp controller yet. I see a lot of posts about the STC-1000, I just don't want to be responsible for re-wiring it (as I've read has to be done). My electrical background is very limited. I know the LHBS sells one, and I will be stopping by there after work today to talk to them about it. One of the guys there has also stated that another worker builds them for sale as well.

There is actually a store in my area, Tap That Keg, that rents kegerators long term, $60 for 6 months, $50 for 12 months (odd i know) with a rent to own option so I'm going to contact them and see if the hardware comes with it. That way I can buy the kegs and freezer and put off spending $600 on a kegerator for a little bit.

j1n.....how tight of a fit is it with the plastic carboys? I have one glass one now and will be getting another in the near future and want to make sure I don't have to jam them in there. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't find a store in my area that has either the GE or Kenmore in stock so that I can measure it out. I have read a lot of posts by people that have the GE freezer and they are able to fit two carboys in it (just haven't seen anyone say how tight it was specifically with glass carboys) and the Kenmore has a bit more room width and depth wise (just 1.5 inches shorter vertically) so I feel safe that they will fit in there if they fit in the GE. Are you also able to use an airlock with the GE one? I measured mine as it sits in the bathtub and it was right around 28.5 inches to the top of the airlock. I'm fine with having to put blow off tubes from both running in to a container sitting on the hump if needed and will not have any problems with the secondary if needed as its only 5 gallons.

As far as getting a keezer instead of the kegerator, that won't really be an option at this time, at least until we move in to a bigger house. I'm fine with having two beers on tap for the time being.

I haven't decided on a temp controller yet. I see a lot of posts about the STC-1000, I just don't want to be responsible for re-wiring it (as I've read has to be done). My electrical background is very limited. I know the LHBS sells one, and I will be stopping by there after work today to talk to them about it. One of the guys there has also stated that another worker builds them for sale as well.

There is actually a store in my area, Tap That Keg, that rents kegerators long term, $60 for 6 months, $50 for 12 months (odd i know) with a rent to own option so I'm going to contact them and see if the hardware comes with it. That way I can buy the kegs and freezer and put off spending $600 on a kegerator for a little bit.

Why wouldn't you just kick in the $25 for the much larger freezer at sears I told you about?

My $.02 on the kegerator- think about getting yourself a nice used fridge and making it yourself. You get way more bang for your buck, as well as much much more flexibility in the final product. I built mine in college years ago in college, when the only tools I had were a drill and a skrewdriver. It took about 30 minutes when I had all the parts. It is still going strong today (with a few additions). It has been one of (if not the) most rewarding items in my brewing.

Edit: my 2 tap kegerator, I have in roughly:
Nice CL used fridge: $60
2 tap system (roughly what I got): $150 http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kits/shck2.shtml
2 pin-locks: (2x40) $80
3 way CO2 monifold: $12
Assorted hoses, fittings, DIY drip trays: $30
Chalk board paint: $15

For around half the price you can have what I consider a superior setup, with more room, built exactly to your specs.
Plus you have the pleasure of using something you made, which is kind of the point of homebrewing in the first place!

Why wouldn't you just kick in the $25 for the much larger freezer at sears I told you about?

Looking in to that right now. The internet at work is being slow though, but from what I could see, its only 4 inches wider so I think that will work.
Although SWMBO is letting me get these, she is very advers to any kind of change so I'm trying to keep this on a low profile (which is why I will be covering the freezer with a table cloth so that she can put a plant on it). I talked with her about building my own kegerator and she pretty much said to just buy one. At this point, I'm so excited I'll just spend the extra money to buy one. I've won the battle on being able to get these so I'm not pushing my luck.:ban:

I recently purchased the GE 7 cu ft chest freezer. It doesn't have quite as much room as I thought, though it will fit 2 of my MoreBeer 6 gal batch buckets if you stagger them.

It also has a small raised portion (~1 ft) where the compressor sits underneath.

It comes with 2 small baskets.

xnujib.jpg
[/IMG]

2wn9zjq.jpg
[/IMG]

I chose the GE as it had nearly 1200 reviews with 5 stars.

I'm all set to buy the Kenmore 8.8 cu ft from Sears, but I cant get the coupon code to work even after bringing the price up above $300.

The website has a notice for the SEARS50 code, but I'm thinking they may have changed it as it applies "to an appliance purchase of $300 or more". I've tried putting screwdrivers and ratchet sets on there but it still won't take it. I think I will end up getting one from Home Depot as they have free delivery but I will have to wait until next weekend. Sears was tempting because they would deliver it tomorrow but without that code, I'm not paying as much for delivery as they want.

I've been thinking about wiring in some sort of fan to the cooling circuit. Is that how you did yours?

Is that a digital thermometer by the fan?

Thanks j1n, that helps me make up my mind. I think I'll go with the GE 7 cu ft. It looks like there is plenty of room for the two carboys with room to spare.

Thanks j1n, that helps me make up my mind. I think I'll go with the GE 7 cu ft. It looks like there is plenty of room for the two carboys with room to spare.

Yeah, there is plenty of space for two. from the other pic it looks like buckets are bigger and wider so it would be tight if you had those. I like carboys better anyways cause i like to be able to see the fermentation.

GE Cerama Bryte™ Garbage Disposal Cleaner

This is what I added to my Kenmore 8.8 order to get it over $300.

I'm all set to buy the Kenmore 8.8 cu ft from Sears, but I cant get the coupon code to work even after bringing the price up above $300.

The trick is that the item you add to push over the 300 limit has to be from the same department... I'll tell you what I used.

Item number 022012665000 - some random piece of edge trim for $1.39 from the APPLIANCES section :)

It's a no go. Tried to add a nut from the appliance section for 2.99 (the item number you recommended didn't show up on the search) and an energy guide from the appliance freezer section and it still won't let me apply the coupon. From the pictures the 7.2 cu ft will work and with Home Depot free delivery will still be cheaper anyways. I'll just have to wait till Wednesday to get it which is fine.

I had to find something that was in stock in my store to get the coupon to work. Otherwise, they tried to get me for shipping on that small item.

It's a no go. Tried to add a nut from the appliance section for 2.99 (the item number you recommended didn't show up on the search) and an energy guide from the appliance freezer section and it still won't let me apply the coupon. From the pictures the 7.2 cu ft will work and with Home Depot free delivery will still be cheaper anyways. I'll just have to wait till Wednesday to get it which is fine.

Just worked for me 1 min ago...

OBVIOUSLY you don't want to use the options I selected... those are for store pickup near where I live...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/Shopping...dkey=http:ProductOptionsOrderItemAddCmd#/cart

And done. Ordered the GE 7.0 cu ft freezer from Home Depot which should be arriving on Wednesday and the Kegco 309b-2 kegerator. SWMBO felt a lot better about the decision after we were able to pop the cap on my first batch of american IPA last night. A tad undercarbed but tasted so good if I do say so myself! :mug:

Very nice. That fermentation chamber chest freezer is going to ensure proper fermentation temp which can only lead to better beer. I have a 2 tap kegerator as well. think mine is haeir brand.

Dont know why people were trying to pressure you into buying the bigger freezer. It has a bigger foot print which you said space is a concern and its more expensive. The GE Freezer OBVIOUSLY fit your needs and is cheaper.

Yeah the GE will be fine. Now I just need to find a temp controller that I don't have to do any re-wiring to and that will be able to be outdoors (shouldn't get wet but want to be safe just in case).

Wiring a STC-1000 temp controller isnt as intimidating as it may seem. If you can cut a wire and follow a diagram or DIY video, then you can easily wire it up.

Back