Finally building my Lightning Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copbrew133

Reaction score
When Home Depot put the GE freezer on sale I figured it was time to pull he trigger. I've wanted to build one for a LNG time with a TB Lightning theme as I am a fan. Parts are slowly coming in, got the 3 tap setup today from Keg Outlet and the 10lbs. Co2 tank from Beverage Elements this past Saturday. Gonna have the three taps with pucks for handles and a Fatheadz Lightning logo front and center on the face. I still have some paint work, touch ups, and clear coat to do but it's coming along. It doesn't compare to a lot on the forums but it's mine and no more friggin bottling.

image-3029791335.jpg

image-1627365245.jpg

Hi

You may find that it chips a bit when you take off the tape. There's no magic solution to the problem. I find that getting the tape off sooner rather than later seems to work a bit better.

Bob

I found that as well. Whatever chips is just gonna have to be touched up by brush I guess. I am no painter, but I think it's gonna come out alright. Durability of the paint is my concern. If it doesn't hold up I'll probably enclose in wood.

Hi

I've had pretty good luck with the Universal Rustoleum stuff. It's not perfect, but it's pretty durable.

Pin-striping tape is another alternative to the edge cracking on the paint. It's an auto store sort of thing. It's pretty durable stuff, and it's easier to do for a lot of us than painting exactly straight lines :drunk::drunk:

Bob

Hi

Looking good.

The weak point is the paint on the fridge gasket. It comes off easier than the rest of the paint. I do indeed have empirical data to back this up. Avoid mashing into it and it'll do fine.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I have installed the three faucets, manifold, reg., and lines. Hooked the three kegs after cleaning the funk off and out and ran some StarSan through everything. Only one of the kegs didnt hold pressure, i am suspecting a dip tube gasket. Have some replacements on the way. Have a honey wheat waiting to be the virgin beer in the keezer.

Hi

Sounds good. MUCH better to catch the leaks before there's beer involved. I ordered a bunch of o-rings and gaskets from McMaster Carr a while back, cost next to nothing and *very* useful. There's a sticky somewhere around here with all the what uses what information.

Bob

Handles are on and shes done.........for now. I think Im going to build a wooden skirt around the base to hide the wheels. Not permanently attached, just a 3 sided box sitting on the floor with about an inch gap around the keezer. Then add blue rope lighting inside the skirt that shines upwards onto the keezer. Well see.

2012-07-10_18-41-42_250.jpg

2012-07-10_18-42-02_70.jpg

I found I was having about a 10 degree temp. differential between the top air and bottom air of the keezer so tonight I wired a CPU fan inside a project box in the keezer to circulate the air. Temp difference is now down to 3-5 degrees, Sweeeet.

Back