Finally Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmeister13

Reaction score
Realized I never did properly introduce myself. I've been wanting to start homebrewing for years, but due to finances, living situation and my wives insistence that I wasn't allowed to do it indoors, never did start. I did, however, spend the last six or so years dreaming, and reading (it's what you do when you graduate with a humanities degree). I started with some basics, like brewing for dummies and moved on to Papazain's "Complete Joy" book. I've read a dozen or so books and countless articles and websites about homebrewing since. My favorites are probably Daniels' "Designing Great Beer" and Mosher's "Brewer's Companion".

Unfortunately, all of the reading in the world doesn't a brewer make. Then came this last year. My wife and I bought our first home (to accommodate our first child, I'm a stay at home dad if you are wondering. Turns out teaching pays less than child care costs) and my dad died. I finally had the space and thanks to the settlement from my dads death (though I would trade brewing for him in a heartbeat) the money.

The other problem with doing all of the reading that I have is that your simple brew in a bucket set-up just doesn't cut it. I am currently having a brew single tier brewstand welded up and am looking to do 5 and 10 gallon all grain batches. I've exhausted all of the funds I was allotted for the build and will someday work towards automation.

My favorite styles are stouts, particularly imperial, IPA's and American strong ales (kind of a catch all, but I love the exploration of the style). A bit of an oddball combo, I know, but I like 'em strong and flavorful.

So far I have brewed an Arrogant Bastard clone that I played around with a bit. I bottled 2 gal of it plain, dry hopped 1 gal, added oak chips to 1 gal and used a hop tea in 1 gal (I'm all about experimenting and playing with flavor in the search of the best results). Unfortunately, it's been less than 3 weeks since bottling and I may have to wait another 3 or so to find out my results. I also just brewed 10 gal of Hefe for the wife and for the adults at my daughters upcoming 1st birthday party. I'm probably going to add Grand Marnier to 5 gal to see how it comes out.

Not sure if this is the longest introduction on the site, but that's what happens when children are asleep and rambling dad needs some quiet reflection.

Back