Finally a lagering freezer--craigslist SCORE!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just scored this puppy off of craigslist for 25 bucks!!!

Supposedly it needs a freon charge, (so hopefully I can figure that out) but for 25 bucks I couldn't pass it up. It is big enough to hold one carboy for sure, possibly I could squeeze 2 cornies in it instead. Either way, if it holds the carboy it will be SO worth it. If it doesn't work out I'll just relist it. :rockin:

freezer.jpg

Happy Birthday to me!!!!

Great deal Dude. Hope you have good luck with the freon. In NY it was banned quite a few years ago. I tried to have my trucks system recharged but didn't have any luck until I found a guy who still had a supply left. You might want to try the smaller places first if you're in the same boat down south.

I'm reasonably sure it takes R-134a (which is available for the general public to buy), but in the event it takes R-12, I am certified to buy it anyway. :p Those automotive classes might just come in handy after all. ;)

I am crossing my fingers that it will be tall enough to hold a corny keg. With the dimensions I got from the seller, it will be close as far as height, but the depth is big enough where I might even be able to squeeze 4 cornies in there. At any rate, one carboy will even be good!

Thanks for the warning budbo, I will never ever never never ever never never never ever never never never never ever click that link...

...again...

well, maybe just once!

Thank you! :ban:

It's about time Dude! I've been after you for awhile to get one of those. I truly hope i'm wrong in thinking that you may have some trouble scoring some freon. The EPA kinda frowns on doing that yourself............

BTW what's the first lager that you're gonna make????

The more I think about this the more concerned I get. I'm wondering if adding freon is going to be a PITA. More PITA than it is worth.

I can still back out but I might just pay the 25 bucks and see.

Coincidentally, I scored a top/bottom fridge off of craigslist yesterday...$75 for a 2000 model that seems to run well! It does need some cleaning up, however. I'm not sure how long they had it unplugged, but it's not too bad. Can't wait to get it converted!

haha, i recently got a top/bottom fridge that used to be a sanke kegerator, came with built shelf, shank, faucet, drip tray, 5 lb co2 tank, sanke keg, keg coupler, and single gauge regulator this was all for 80 dollars. deal! it can hold 6 soda kegs, and i will gradually add enough shanks and faucets to fill it up.

Well, Dude, What's the scoop? Were you able to make a go of this thing, or not?? I saw a similar wine fridge at a moving sale today for $150, and it jarred my memory and I got curious as to whether you were able to make it work.

:confused:

Might be able to replace a few seals and charge it with 134a if it is freeon. Most likley it is 134a unless it's pretty old.

FWIW, freon is only a brand name for refrigerant manufactured by DuPont. Other manufacturers call it by other names. As you are probably aware, due to the fact that you have your CFC certification, if you need to add refrigerant, then there is a leak. It would be a good idea to pressurize and leak check the system, repair the leak, and evacuate into a deep vacuum before charging the required amount of refrigerant into the system. This required amount of refrigerant is critical to the proper operation of the system. It can be found on the unit nameplate. These small systems usually have a capillary tube for the metering device, and the proper amount of refrigerant (measured in oz) must be weighed in precisely. Just trying to "top off" will only cause problems.
It only makes sense to do. For one, it would be a waste of time any money to add refrigerant only to have it leak out again, and two, depending on the rate of the leak, could be in in violation of EPA regulations. IIRC, residential appliances can only leak 10% of total system charge per year before it is required to be repaired.

On another note, most small systems like this will not have service fittings installed from the factory. You first would have to strap on a piercing valve to recover the refrigerant, remove the piercing valve because they should only be used for temporary service, and braze in a service valve. Preferably two valves, one on the low side and one on the high side, so that pressure readings can be taken to ascertain proper operation.

John

D*Bo said:
Might be able to replace a few seals and charge it with 134a if it is freeon. Most likley it is 134a unless it's pretty old.

There will be no seals on a system like this to be replaced. Every thing is hard piped with copper tubing and brazed. The most common cause of a leak on a system like this is a length of copper tubing somewhere is rubbing up against something, and with the vibration caused by the system running over time will abrade through and leak. I've seen it many times, but it is job security for me. :ban:

John

Back