Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double_Eagle

Reaction score
I am fairly new to brewing. This is my fifth brew.

I am brewing a Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter extract kit. The OG was 1.062. After fermentation appeared to have stopped at eight days, I dumped the trub from the bottom of my Catalyst Fermentation System using the butterfly valve.

I measured the FG today at 10 days and it was 1.016. Is that a little high? Did I dump the trub too soon? The instructions don't say what the FG should be.

450x450x43166-catylest-craft-a-brew.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-J92goVoT4.webp

What's the temperature of your beer? This could sway the gravity a couple points. Otherwise, that's not a bad FG. I would wait until at least the two week mark then bottle/keg.

I wait a lot longer to test FG. I ferment ales at fairly cool temps and let mine sit for up to a month before bottling to allow the yeast to ferment and clean up the beer.

I am fairly new to brewing. This is my fifth brew.

I am brewing a Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter extract kit. The OG was 1.062. After fermentation appeared to have stopped at eight days, I dumped the trub from the bottom of my Catalyst Fermentation System using the butterfly valve.

I measured the FG today at 10 days and it was 1.016. Is that a little high? Did I dump the trub too soon? The instructions don't say what the FG should be.

That's 74+% attenuation on a porter. You should be good; no worries from my perspective. That FG is not too high for a porter/stout, in fact could be a tad higher.

Not knowing your grain bill and mash process it's hard to tell, but for something like a bourbon barrel ale, that's not an unreasonable FG.

Most of my beers end up in the 1.012-1.104 range except for things like pilsners. But that's by design.

Latest posts

Back