Filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nil

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am getting into filtration, debating between 1, 2 or 5 microns filters.

Any advice?

Thanks, Nil:mug:

What are you trying to achieve?

Filtering is a lot of work, wastes a lot of beer, and the results are meh (other than crystal clear).

Good timing me too..I'm filtering for the fist time this week with a 1 micron filter in a home water canister. It sounds like yeast, my main concern, is 3 micron so I chose a 1 micron filter.
I don't se it wasting more than a pint or so (possibly) in the canister. I dump way more than that after everything settles in the keg so I'll be ahead of the game.

All the work of brewing is on brew day. Transferring is a 5 minute process on a different day.. An extra 10 minutes ain't gunna kill me...beats waiting days in a keg to clear....if it works as good as I hope it will

What are you trying to achieve?

Filtering is a lot of work, wastes a lot of beer, and the results are meh (other than crystal clear).

I am trying to save time and electricity. Specially with lagers, as the yeast is less flocullant.

Thanks, Nil :mug:

For whatever reason theres no love for filtering on the forum....curious to find out if theres a reason why

I agree. Ive tried filtering myself and found for me it was more effort than worth... If I just cold crashed the beer it would usually clear great on its own but I could see the value especially in trying to make a beer drinkable quicker..

I agree. Ive tried filtering myself and found for me it was more effort than worth... If I just cold crashed the beer it would usually clear great on its own but I could see the value especially in trying to make a beer drinkable quicker..
I've watched every Youtube video on filtering. It seems like people are people are flushing everything with Starsan then then pressure transferring from keg to keg. Is it the best way maybe..is it needed, maybe not. Seems a bit overkill. I'm going to squirt a little Sarsan in the hoses and filter and go to town. Never let me down with an auto siphon and it the exact same thing with a filter in the middle.
I'm going to transfer with a little brown pump pushing through a water filter. Fill the keg and run water through the filter system for 30 seconds to clean it out....seems simple enough. Will be finding out hopefully tomorrow.

What I know for sure is yeast hinders the flavor of beer big time. I'm drinking an Octoberfest like beer now. The non clear beer flavor is muted by the yeast in suspension. Taste rather bland. As soon is it cleared in the keg the flavor came out. Malty caramel clean deliciousness. I'm hoping to get the same thing from the get go.

Cold crashing doesn't always clear the beer. And time is something I don't have time for :D

As far as stripping flavor I've been looking up filtering for awhile now. It seems the people that don't filter say it strips the flavor and are just poo pooing it without actual experience. Those that do filter say it doesn't..I listened to a Basic Brewing Podcast. They were saying it doesn't strip flavor.....

Whats your take on the flavor?

I've watched every Youtube video on filtering. It seems like people are people are flushing everything with Starsan then then pressure transferring from keg to keg. Is it the best way maybe..is it needed, maybe not. Seems a bit overkill.

If you purge your filter and lines you eliminate the possibility of oxidizing your beer with the filter. I could imagine pushing beer through a filter that was full of air would really expedite oxidation... but I'm just guessing here.

If you purge your filter and lines you eliminate the possibility of oxidizing your wort with the filter. I could imagine pushing beer through a filter that was full of air would really expedite oxidation... but I'm just guessing here.
My plan is to use one of those little air tool attachments to blow dust and blow co2 through the primary hose and ending with the keg hose in the keg. Should purge the hole system and keg in one shot....seems pretty straight forward simple and effective

While you're doing that the air is mixing with the co2, how do you know when you've pushed out enough air? How do you know when to stop to avoid wasting co2? When filling with a liquid and pushing back out you know you're using the exact correct amount of co2.

Are you worried about wasting starsan? I purge my kegs with tap water, then push in a pint or so of starsan and swirl it around, then push starsan back out, maybe you could do something like that? Some might argue that when your brew is beer you don't necessarily need to starsan everything, just purge with clean tap water (given that everything was previously clean and sanitized).

While you're doing that the air is mixing with the co2, how do you know when you've pushed out enough air? How do you know when to stop to avoid wasting co2?

Are you worried about wasting starsan? I purge my kegs with tap water, then push in a pint or so of starsan and swirl it around, then push starsan back out, maybe you could do something like that? Some might argue that when your brew is beer you don't necessarily need to starsan everything, just purge with clean tap water (given that everything was previously sanitized).
Ya I have no idea about mixing. I'd be nice if the air was brown like in China so I could see what was going on.

I'm in the camp that after beer is beer and going into an oxygen freeish keg and will be gone in 10/14 days I probably don't have much to worry about with an infection....I still give everything a good squirt of starsan for good measure being its so easy to so.

I've watched every Youtube video on filtering. It seems like people are people are flushing everything with Starsan then then pressure transferring from keg to keg. Is it the best way maybe..is it needed, maybe not. Seems a bit overkill. I'm going to squirt a little Sarsan in the hoses and filter and go to town. Never let me down with an auto siphon and it the exact same thing with a filter in the middle.
I'm going to transfer with a little brown pump pushing through a water filter. Fill the keg and run water through the filter system for 30 seconds to clean it out....seems simple enough. Will be finding out hopefully tomorrow.

What I know for sure is yeast hinders the flavor of beer big time. I'm drinking an Octoberfest like beer now. The non clear beer flavor is muted by the yeast in suspension. Taste rather bland. As soon is it cleared in the keg the flavor came out. Malty caramel clean deliciousness. I'm hoping to get the same thing from the get go.

Cold crashing doesn't always clear the beer. And time is something I don't have time for :D

As far as stripping flavor I've been looking up filtering for awhile now. It seems the people that don't filter say it strips the flavor and are just poo pooing it without actual experience. Those that do filter say it doesn't..I listened to a Basic Brewing Podcast. They were saying it doesn't strip flavor.....

Whats your take on the flavor?
I with a normal non adjunct beer dont believe filtering strips the beer of any flavor that shouldnt be there in the first place... breweries mostly all filter so...

While you're doing that the air is mixing with the co2, how do you know when you've pushed out enough air? How do you know when to stop to avoid wasting co2? When filling with a liquid and pushing back out you know you're using the exact correct amount of co2.

Are you worried about wasting starsan? I purge my kegs with tap water, then push in a pint or so of starsan and swirl it around, then push starsan back out, maybe you could do something like that? Some might argue that when your brew is beer you don't necessarily need to starsan everything, just purge with clean tap water (given that everything was previously clean and sanitized).

I actually ruined a scotch heavy beer once by filtering and oxidizing it... I only filtered 5 gallons of a split 10 gallon batch and made a very dumb mistake of pulling instead of pushing through the filter... as the filter plugged it developed an air leak which i believe oxidized it quite a bit... after 2 weeks it had to be dumped. the other 5 gallons was good... cleared on its own.

Back