Filters for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone on here used a mechanical filter for cider (or beer)?
There seems to be two different types; the cartridge or plate filter.

I’ll be using corny kegs to push through filter.

If I purchase one, I may use for mead etc.
So cartridge or plate replacement cost may be a factor.

What are your experiences, operating costs, etc?

Which do you like better?

Background- this year I’m making a crap ton of cider. I will be backsweetening with fresh or frozen concentrated cider juice. I like my beer, mead, cider to be clear.
Normally, I let my cider clear in my glass. This year I may be trying to free up kegs and space, so I’d like to have the ability to filter. Also if I transport a keg to a party, I don’t want to rouse up the fine lees.

I have a buon vino mini jet filter that I've used for stubborn cysers and back sweetened meads. They work well but expect losses (they leak). Problem with filters is that people think you can push cloudy stuff through them, and that's just not true. Your brew needs to be really clean already before filtering.

Plate filters or cartridge both work if using CO2 to push them.

For cider though, just pectic enzyme has always given me crystal clarity. I always score 6/6 for appearance in comps -

47882782171_09a9eae8af_c.jpg

I have a buon vino mini jet filter that I've used for stubborn cysers and back sweetened meads. They work well but expect losses (they leak). Problem with filters is that people think you can push cloudy stuff through them, and that's just not true. Your brew needs to be really clean already before filtering.

For cider though, just pectic enzyme has always given me crystal clarity. I always score 6/6 for appearance in comps -

47882782171_09a9eae8af_c.jpg
Wow! That pic should be on a cider co website.
I agree with you as far as the clarity of cider before filtering. I’m looking at going from clear to crystal.
The other thing is that even when it clears in a keg and then you transport keg, it stirs up the fine lees in the bottom that otherwise wouldn’t be a problem.
How much loss do you have for a 5 gallon batch with the buon vino?

I agree with you as far as the clarity of cider before filtering. I’m looking at going from clear to crystal.
The other thing is that even when it clears in a keg and then you transport keg, it stirs up the fine lees in the bottom that otherwise wouldn’t be a problem.
How much loss do you have for a 5 gallon batch with the buon vino?

Haven't filtered a 5 gallon batch yet but I lost about a quart doing 1 gallon batches. First you have to soak the filter pads in water then when purging the water you lose some brew. Then there's what leaks, the coarser the filter the less that squeezes out. I've started keeping my excess (doesn't fit in secondary) in small bottles just to use as a purging media.

Rather than fermenting in a keg, if you use a carboy and rack to the keg when the cider is clear you won't have lees in the keg.

I agree!
That’s why I clear and age in a carboy for months. Then carefully rack into the keg. Then take a draw off the keg before you move it.

Based on your picture I have a few questions you may be able to answer:
  • How long do you age in the carboy after fermenting till dry?
  • Is there any concern with temperature during the aging stage? I would assume so. In that case is 70F a major concern?
  • Also do you rack off the lees multiple times to reduce the yeast count? And if so does this also aid in clarification?
My goal is to clarify my cider without compromising too much of the flavor, hence my temperature questions. I try to keep my brewing temps in the 50-60F range, by using my garage as a stable environment in the fall and winter, but in the spring/summer I will have to bring my carboys inside (70F) otherwise I know the temps will be too high. I am willing to forgo a bit of clarity for flavor as I'm not entering any contests, just want to have something good to share with friends and family.

Based on your picture I have a few questions you may be able to answer:
  • How long do you age in the carboy after fermenting till dry?
  • Is there any concern with temperature during the aging stage? I would assume so. In that case is 70F a major concern?
  • Also do you rack off the lees multiple times to reduce the yeast count? And if so does this also aid in clarification?
My goal is to clarify my cider without compromising too much of the flavor, hence my temperature questions. I try to keep my brewing temps in the 50-60F range, by using my garage as a stable environment in the fall and winter, but in the spring/summer I will have to bring my carboys inside (70F) otherwise I know the temps will be too high. I am willing to forgo a bit of clarity for flavor as I'm not entering any contests, just want to have something good to share with friends and family.

My methods have been pretty much the same for a number of years now:

I ferment fresh pressed local orchard cider, starting in October - November (my 2019 batch is in process now). I always use pectic enzyme up front and yeast nutrients. Here in CT my basement brew room stays low-mid 60's (though this year I have temp control). I will rack to secondary at 1.008-1010 and let the cider clear and age for a couple months. 3 months if I'm using oak. From there it gets racked once more with zero head space (or kegged if I'm thirsty ;)).
Temperature during aging is whatever my basement is. I have aged at room temp too without any problems.

It gets better with time. I will be bringing last year's cider with me for T-Day. It scored 37/50 in October which isn't bad at all.

My methods have been pretty much the same for a number of years now:

I ferment fresh pressed local orchard cider, starting in October - November (my 2019 batch is in process now). I always use pectic enzyme up front and yeast nutrients. Here in CT my basement brew room stays low-mid 60's (though this year I have temp control). I will rack to secondary at 1.008-1010 and let the cider clear and age for a couple months. 3 months if I'm using oak. From there it gets racked once more with zero head space (or kegged if I'm thirsty ;)).
Temperature during aging is whatever my basement is. I have aged at room temp too without any problems.

It gets better with time. I will be bringing last year's cider with me for T-Day. It scored 37/50 in October which isn't bad at all.

Thank you for the quick response. I am trying some experiments this year to try and refine my product. Last year was my first batch so this year I am tweaking a few things with 2 different batches to see what I can achieve. Last years came out close to clear, but not 100%. I used peptic enzyme which helped, but I didn't wait very long for it to clear though, only about a month. This year I racked my first batch early at 1.020 (down from 1.056) and plan to rack again to see if I can slow fermentation some more and reduce the amount of yeast. The second batch I will try your method. Both I have already pitched some peptic enzyme as I do believe that helps clear up unfiltered juice. Excited to see the results this spring.

Back