Filtering when bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakis

Reaction score
Hey all,

I dry-hopped for the first time this week and now I am wondering about bottling the beer. This is also the first time that I added the hops to the boil without a hopbag. Anyways, is there a good way to filter the beer when bottling or racking to the bottling bucket?

Cheers,

Jake

I started adding the hops loose to the kettle when I got my dual layer fine mesh strainer, 10 1/4" diameter. So I strain the chilled wort into the fermenter to get all the gunk out. This also aerates the wort nicely. So doing it going into primary is better than trying to get it out after primary fermentation is done. You wouldn't want to oxygenate the beer at this point.

you can put a sanitized paint strainer bag over the end of your racking cane

Put a hop bag over the end of your racking cane when you go to rack the beer over to the bottling bucket.

This is really the only way, make sure you sanitize the bag. Any "pour beer through a strainer/filter" method will likely oxygenate the beer, which would be devastating at bottling time.

I always pour my wort through a large metal strainer after I boil, which removes any late hop additions. Oxygen exposure is good before fermentation......

I always dry hop in the primary and don't use a bag. Usually the hops settle out and I don't get much transferred in the bottling bucket. What little is transferred will settle at the bottom of the bottle with yeast. No big deal.

Usually the hops settle out and I don't get much transferred in the bottling bucket. What little is transferred will settle at the bottom of the bottle with yeast. No big deal.

I agree with this. Most of the hops particles will have settled out and I really don't think you have to strain it. Just make sure you don't get too close to the trub when you rack it to the bottling bucket and you should be fine.

Thanks guys, I might then just rack it a bit above the trub on the bottom and see how it goes

So many questions lol..

Do you guys normally leave the bucket lid on when bottling to minimize the risk of oxygen?

So many questions lol..

Do you guys normally leave the bucket lid on when bottling to minimize the risk of oxygen?

Yes. Also keeps out germs that might find their way in too.

I like to purge the bucket with CO2 before racking into it. Probably a bit paranoid, but I want to use every defense against oxidation that I can.

I usually put the lid on loose. Obviously for the wort to drain out, air will replace it, so it is mainly just to keep out bugs. The duration is short so it shouldn't be too bad.

Latest posts

Back