Filtering the Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adomka

Reaction score
Looking into upgrading my kettle, which I use for BIAB and wondering what the best method to go about filtering the boil before primary would be. Should I invest in a false bottom or bazooka screen or maybe just clean out bag after mash and reuse to filter out trub, or dont worry about it and just get a dip tube?

I do BIAB and use a ss mesh tube similar to a bazooka. I also use a separate mesh bag or ss mesh tube to put boil hops in. After whirlpool, there's not much trub to get in the primary. Are you having trouble with hops getting into the primary?

A false bottom won't really work unless there's a grain bed to filter through. You have the BIAB bag so that is about the best filter you can have.

What kind of kettle are you getting?

I am in the don't worry about it camp, though a hop screen for the boil has been a decent addition for me. I also angle my dip tube so as to avoid drawing too much break into the fermentor. Whatever gets in will clear in time, anyway.

I used to use a grain bag when draining from the kettle to a fermenting bucket. CAn't really do that if you're going into a carboy though, unless you have a big funnel.

Now, I whirlpool in the kettle while chilling, let it sit for a few minutes, then judt draw off through the offset dip tube. I still get some trub out of the bottom, but not too much, and its easier than filtering.

I do BIAB and use a hop sack during the boil, not much trub left after that. Before the hop sack I strained through a 5G paint strainer bag, worked fine. I guess it all depends on what you're wanting in the end. I use a hop sack because I don't want hop trub in the yeast when I save it.

Back