Filtering Spring Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNTurkey

Reaction score
I have a seasonal spring in my back yard. It has some flow except when it's been really dry for a few weeks.
I don't know the quality of the water as I've never had it tested, but it has a fair amount of particulates in it. It tastes good (I wasn't brave enough to swallow any!) so I'd like to use it to brew.
Anybody have a good solution for filtering out the sediment? I would prefer a gravity flow filter but I'm not opposed to a hand operated pump.
I'm not too worried about organisms because I can boil it.
Thanks.

maybe get a pain strainer and somehow pump the water out of the spring and put the strainer at the end of the pump before it goes into whatever you're collecting the water in?

another option is to get a cheap aquarium pump-filter. Pull the water from your source, let it pass through the charcoal filter and empty into another container. I'd probably recirculate the filter water a few times to be sure

It could also be well (read ground) water. Spring water comes from pockets in the bedrock, like gas & oil. It sometimes comes up through cracks or fissures in the rock to the surface. But the .5 micron or so filters brewers use in commercial rigs might be better?

Never used one, but drawing the water through it slowly, as mentioned, could do the trick?

It will be gravity flow so rate shouldn't be a problem.
One nice thing about spring water is I don't have to worry about chlorine or chloramines...just Giardia!:ban:

Back