Filtering mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never filtered. All the meads that I've made aged for long periods of time and cleared very well without filtering.

Wouldn't filtering add a lot of oxygen to the mead? After the fermentation has finished? Not sure if that's a good idea

I'm not saying I disagree. I've just seen some people filter for clarity (if it will be drank within a reasonable amount of time), and some people let either naturally clear or use Bentonite.

Just asking practices and opinions!

Filtering does not add any air if done under vacuum in a closed system like the all-in-one wine pump. I haven't done it myself, as I don't own a filter setup, but I've read that it makes a big difference in a mead. Not just in clarity but in taste. I want to try one sometime to see if I can get faster clearing of a finished mead without fining agents but I make small batches (one gallon) and I worry that I'd lose too much in the filter and hoses.

I don't filter, but I understand that for most systems you need to clarify by traditional means before filtering. Otherwise you would clog the filter quickly.

@Maylar I've read that periodically agitating the lees (don't remember how often) helps them flocculate better when they're finished fermenting. I've also read that cold crashing yeast at a strain-specific temperature will clear it faster than crashing at 2°C (depending on the strain, of course). Finally, some yeast are high flocculating. I made some batches with 71B, US-05, and Belle Saison alongside each other. Surprisingly, the Belle Saison was the clearest after a month, with 71B as a close second (I wasn't positive I could tell the difference). The US-05 batches needed a clearing agent, and still aren't quite as clear.

Last edited:
I do not filter my meads. I have always been successful with cold crashing for a week or two. On the rare occasion that doesn’t work, I use plain gelatin and let it sit another week. Never had a cloudy glass.

-J-

Back