Filtering Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer

Reaction score
If anyone is filtering their hard cider to get the final sediment out, I would sure appreciate seeing or reading how you are doing it. I get too many noobs pouring it from the bottles into the glass then complaining that its cloudy, etc. Its pretty clear when i bottle, but as it sits.... Wondering if there is an easy way to eliminate the sediment before bottling.

A mini jet type filtering setup (like for wine) would work pretty well, but the cider has to be pretty clear when it's filtered or the filter pads will clog.

pouring through any sort of filter will simply ruin the cider, so a beer or wine filtering setup that won't oxidize the cider as it pumps would be needed.

Some people who have c02 setups use a filter that looks like a water filter, and use co2 to push from one keg to another through that filter. The mini jet filters for wine don't use c02- they use a plate filter and a pump.

Thanks, Lorena! Seems like pushing it between two kegs through a water-type filter would be easier and less expensive, provided you have the keg set up.

Thanks, Lorena! Seems like pushing it between two kegs through a water-type filter would be easier and less expensive, provided you have the keg set up.

Yes, it probably would.

I don't filter, but I've sometimes considered getting a buon jet (I think that's what they are called) just because I'm getting old and have some issues with lifting 6 gallon carboys of wine over and over. That would make transfers easier, although more to sanitize and mess around with. Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/buon-vino-mini-jet-filter.html

Because that doesn't include the pads (which are disposable so you need to buy a set or two for each batch), it's not cheap. But it would solve one issue of siphoning/lifting the carboy for me. I have a nice kegging setup but it still involves lifting up the fermenter to siphon. Buckets, like I use for beer, aren't a problem but 6 gallon carboys are heavy and fragile and I do worry about that.

Latest posts

Back