Filtering *After* Cast Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have thoughts on it.

My first thought is that there is no such thing as "cast" conditioning. It is "cask" conditioning.

My second thought is why would you filter after cask conditioning when the whole point of cask conditioning is creating an unfiltered, real ale. If, for some reason, you desire crystal clear beer perhaps you should not drink cask conditioned ale . . . or choose a yeast strain with a high flocculation rate.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't think you "get" cask conditioned ale.

No, no, no. I mean dropping my son's cast he just had cut off his leg into the secondary for conditioning... sheesh. Heh... I'd had a few when I posted.

The point would be to allow it to naturally carbonate and age using priming sugar, then filter. Yes, I know this probably doesn't follow any known logic. My question is more about how much else the filtering process would remove than just yeast? Would it strip the carbonation as well as any other benefits gained by letting it cask condition?

I'll probably try it either way. Everyone who tries my beer seems to like it but comments on the noticable hint of yeast...

I don't believe it will work for you John. You will create so much foam from the carbonation at the filter that it will strip the CO2 from your beer and fill your keg with mostly head.

There are two processes that you can do to reduce the amount of yeast left suspended in your brew other than what sonvolt mentioned.
  1. Skip priming. Crash your beer, filter, then force carbonate it.
  2. Follow SN's process of filtering then adding a small measure of yeast and priming suger enough to carbonate.
Good luck,
Wild

If you are cask conditioning (vs bulk conditioning in a keg), there won't be any carbonation to speak of; cask conditioning requires an airlock so all of the CO2 can bleed off. You would have to pressurize to force it through the filter or pump it. Either way, what little carbonation is in the ale will be lost.

If you bulk condition in a keg and don't relieve the pressure, then filter to a second cornie, you will retain most of the carbonation.

Back