Filling CO2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asche

Reaction score
I recently have started getting ready to begin kegging my creations and purchased a basic kit that came with a 5lb CO2 tank. Took it to a local place to be filled, the dude said he could only get 2 lbs in the tank. I’m wondering is this is normal for the smaller tanks or if there was operator error. Perhaps the temperature was an issue? The tank was rather cold when I got to the place.

The tank is new and sent empty.

Operator error. Find someone who knows what they're doing next time.

Filling a CO2 cylinder requires repeated venting of the receiving cylinder head space to allow more liquid CO2 to flow in.
It's not atypical to waste around 1/6th of the fill capacity to that venting process.
If you don't do the venting you'll never fill the cylinder...

Cheers!

What he says. ^
A cold tank should actually fill more.

Is that a larger outfit you went to, or just a one dude business?
He should have primed the tank with some liquid CO2, then released it to push out all air that was in there. It also cools the tank at the same time to accept the full charge. Additional purges may be necessary. A scale should be used to verify actual fill level.

When I filled up my co2 (10 lb) the guy told me because of the temperature( it was cold out) it would take a few hours to do. And that he would have to vent it several times to get it full.

I have a 5 lb and 10 lb CO2 tank. The 5 lb doesn't take long to fill but the 10 lb does take several hours. it's pretty frustrating as the HBS i go to is an hour away so that means taking it there on a Sat morning and staying in the area for 3-4 hrs or more.
The welding shops don't fill the tanks. they want to exchange for a hefty price and they give you a shitty steel tank. Both tanks i have are new and aluminum so exchanging is not an option.

I go to a guy who fills fire extinguishers and other co2 tanks
He'll fill my 20# while I stand there, maybe 10min.
There is some sort of motorized pump system in use, but spending hours to fill is not something I'd do, like waiting 6hrs in line for some cult brew.

I have a 5 lb and 10 lb CO2 tank. The 5 lb doesn't take long to fill but the 10 lb does take several hours. it's pretty frustrating as the HBS i go to is an hour away so that means taking it there on a Sat morning and staying in the area for 3-4 hrs or more.
The welding shops don't fill the tanks. they want to exchange for a hefty price and they give you a poopyty steel tank. Both tanks i have are new and aluminum so exchanging is not an option.
Call around!

I've had 15 and 20# tanks filled at a fire protection equipment supplier, while I stood there. One time there were 1000-some fire extinguishers on the warehouse floor of all different sizes, ready to be shipped out. It took less than 5 minutes to get one filled, and always to their respective weight.

I now swap them at a welding supplier because:
  1. It's cheaper
  2. I don't have to get them hydro tested
I make sure to call ahead now to check if they have that size aluminum tank in stock. Last time they didn't, and he wanted to give me a 20# steel sucker, no handle either. Nuh-uh! But their 2nd location did have them, the wife was kind enough to take it there and swapped it out for ~$25.

Call around!

I've had 15 and 20# tanks filled at a fire protection equipment supplier, while I stood there. One time there were 1000-some fire extinguishers on the warehouse floor of all different sizes, ready to be shipped out. It took less than 5 minutes to get one filled, and always to their respective weight.

I now swap them at a welding supplier because:
  1. It's cheaper
  2. I don't have to get them hydro tested
I make sure to call ahead now to check if they have that size aluminum tank in stock. Last time they didn't, and he wanted to give me a 20# steel sucker, no handle either. Nuh-uh! But their 2nd location did have them, the wife was kind enough to take it there and swapped it out for ~$25.
I looked at swapping them out but the welding supply stores want almost $50 last time I checked for a 10 lb tank..no thanks.
as for the fire protection places, I know there are some that fill Co2 tanks but none locally and the ones I do know of not sure if they are open on Saturdays. I'll have to check into that I suppose.

Makes me feel lucky that it’s only $2/lb to fill here! I’ll try another day when someone else is there. It’s a local beer shop, but they also fill CO2 tanks for home set ups. It was $4 and change for the half fill.

Makes me feel lucky that it’s only $2/lb to fill here! I’ll try another day when someone else is there. It’s a local beer shop, but they also fill CO2 tanks for home set ups. It was $4 and change for the half fill.

And since it was a new tank and not purged properly, it’s half full of air.

Last edited:
And since it was a new tank and not purged properly, it’s half full of air.
Considering that air has a density of 1.225 kg/m^3 and liquid CO2 of 1101 kg/m^3 I think your estimate of "half full of air" is off by several orders of magnitude. ;)

Around here, most of the "Grow" stores will swap tanks out, but most only to do the 20lb versions.. Used in Hydroponics, but there are more grow stores than homebrew stores since weed was legalized.

Considering that air has a density of 1.225 kg/m^3 and liquid CO2 of 1101 kg/m^3 I think your estimate of "half full of air" is off by several orders of magnitude. ;)

Just making the point that it's not half full of pure CO2 and the $4.00 fill was no bargain... because I don't have a effin clue what gas densities are, nor do I care.

Last edited:
Most co2 sources in my area do cylinder exchanges. You "pay" $50 for the first tank, then a nominal fee to swap it out for a full tank. The tanks are steel. They are responsible to hydro the tank when it is time. I did not purchase a new shiny aluminum tank. I keep my grody steel tank hidden away in the keeser where I can't damage anyone's eyes. :) If he's really charging you $50 for every cylinder exchange I'd find a new gas source.

Latest posts

Back