Filling co2 tank with nitrogen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
I just called a welding supply shop near me and they said they would fill a co2 tank with a beer gas mix. I have not heard of anyone doing this, but I thought nitrogen tanks were used because of the higher pressures needed? Anyone ever try this? Quoted me $110 for the tank and gas. I can always pick up a nitrogen tank for $99 and fill it there too I am sure.

Beer mix uses a different regulator AND a different size connection. I would think there was a slight misunderstanding between the 2 of you. I can't think of a shop that would mix gasses and tanks like that. BUT... not being 100% I am going to call my gas shop. I'll be back.

Cheers
Jay

Just got off the phone with my gas supply house. Here is the deal A Mix tank is a higher pressure tank rated above 2400 PSI. Its also a 580 valve. He explained it is POSSIBLE with a blending system to actually get the mix into the tank, its dangerous and they would NEVER do it.

Stay safe my friend... Its not worth the headache or the danger.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay. I was a bit skeptical about going this route. I think I'll just get a nitrogen tank and have them fill it with 70/30 split. Hopefully they know what they are doing!

Thanks Jay. I was a bit skeptical about going this route. I think I'll just get a nitrogen tank and have them fill it with 70/30 split. Hopefully they know what they are doing!

You will be glad you did. Then its just a tank swap when you need more.

Glad I could help keep ya safe man! Safety second... Right after pleasure....Baahhhaaaaaa LOL Ok I'm kidding there!

Good luck!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks! What are your thoughts on aluminum vs steel? I see new aluminum nitrogen tanks on sale for $84 and reconditioned steel tanks for $99

Both work for sure. The steel tanks are what we see most of for the gas mixes... Just make sure its a 580 valve and you should be good. BUT..Before you buy call your gas supplier and find out what they "SWAP" because if you buy an aluminum tall style and all they swap is the steel shorties then your screwed and you will have to wait for them to FILL your tank (if they even will) instead of just walking in and swapping it out.

Cheers
Jay

I recommend NOT buying gas cylinders unless you have sure-bet method of getting them refilled on demand.
Otherwise you may be waving a tearful "Bye Bye" to your brand new cylinder and taking a beater home...

Cheers!

Back