Filling a Growler Without A Keg?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

means0451

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea? I don't have a keg set up yet, and was wondering if it was possible to fill them up like you would a normal bottle? I use Munton's Carbtabs, how many should I use for moderate carbonation? I have several growlers laying around my house and decided I would put them to use if possible.

My first advice would be to make the move after this batch to corn sugar (dextrose) for carbing. Then you can dissolve the sugar for the entire batch into water, add it all at one time, and bottle all of it in bottles or growlers without needing to measure out anything per container.

Yes, you can bottle in a good growler - I use the fliptop kind. I'm not sure if the screw-tops hold well (someone else can chime in). I would think that you need as many carb tabs as you'd need for an equivalent amount of beer in bottles. Do some measuring.

I use growlers all the time. Depends on how big the growler is. If it's a liter, then do the calcs.

4 Munton's tabs per 12oz bottle for normal carbonation. A liter has 33.81 ounces in it. 33.81/12=2.8175, multiplied by 4 tabs, is 11.27. So for a one-liter growler you'd use 11 Munton's tabs. Yay maff!

I've found I'm pretty happy with 12 tabs per 2 liter growler - I did some with 14 or 16 tabs but they ended up a little overcarbonated.

Back