Filling a 15 gal. "beer" keg with soda/Mountain Dew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vnvlotus

Reaction score
Hello all. This seems like a fantastic site for home brewing and I will refer my brother to it as he has always seemed interested in brewing his own beer.

Anyway, my best friend is getting married and he hates beer, but loves Mountain Dew. I have had him try numerous beers at our local pub, but he has always had a VERY VERY picky set of taste buds.

So, my ideas is that I wanted to get him a keg of Mountain Dew for his bachelor's party. I've been doing research for the past hour or so on kegs and soda. I have seen systems that use the "corney" or cornelius kegs and a CO2 system for dispensing, but I was more interested in the look of a 1/2 barrel or 1/4 barrel.

Is it possible to just use the barrel keg and a hand pump like you would see at a college party?

Thanks!
~trevor

You could make a keggle (a keg with the top cut out for use as a brew kettle). Fill it with ice and stick a corney in the middle.

A bachelor party with a keg of mountain dew? You guys are some party animals.

I've never heard of anyone dispensing soda out of a half barrel keg. It's certainly possible but unique demands = $$$$

It would be very difficult to maintain soda pressure levels with the hand pump. Soda needs 3-5 times the pressure.

i put rootbeer in a half barrel and you would need co2 in order to keep the pressure right and its also a real pain to fill it if you dont know how to

Anyway, my best friend is getting married and he hates beer, but loves Mountain Dew.

Where do you live that they let 13 year old boys get married?:confused:

Just busting your balls, but seriously, you're gonna put some vodka in the dew or something right?

And even more seriously, you're going to have to have CO2. No way around that. A party tap just won't cut it. As far as what to put it in, a corny is going to be your best bet by far. It's waaaaay easier and waaaayy cheaper than doing it any other way. You can still have a nice faucet and tap handle so it looks like beer should come out. If you're really set on having it look like a half barrel, sir humpsalot's way is probably a good option, or hell, just get some cardboard and spray paint and make something that looks close.

Aside from that, if you're reaaaaallly dead set on it it, go to this site: Sanke Keg Revealed!

that'll tell you how to disassemble the valve on the sanke keg. Then you can clean it and all the parts (1-2 day soak with oxy clean or pbw), sanitize it, and fill it with your mountain dew. Then you can reassemble it and put a coupler and CO2 pressure on it. I think that would work. I'm sure somebody will step in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the replies. I will call a few local liquor stores and possibly a Pepsi distributor about this. Seems it might be possible... but we might just have to goto multiple cases or 2 liters of Mountain Dew. That seems the easiest and cheapest, but not the coolest...

My friend is a huge gamer and we plan on having a large XBox party. Pretty nerdy right, but it's good times when you have roughly 40 people over playing Halo on a Lan Connection. =)

Thanks again,
~trevor

Thanks for the replies. I will call a few local liquor stores and possibly a Pepsi distributor about this. Seems it might be possible... but we might just have to goto multiple cases or 2 liters of Mountain Dew. That seems the easiest and cheapest, but not the coolest...

My friend is a huge gamer and we plan on having a large XBox party. Pretty nerdy right, but it's good times when you have roughly 40 people over playing Halo on a Lan Connection. =)

Thanks again,
~trevor

Halo FTW. Too bad you can't get 40 people in one game though, huh?

That would be quite sweet. When Halo 2 was released, we had roughly 45 people over with 6 XBoxes through a switch/hub. 4 were playing Halo 2, 2 were playing Halo 1. Good times/ :)

Back