Filling 14 gallon conical from the bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshortt

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm about to use my new 14 gallon SS conical for the first time. I'd like to use my march 809 pump to fill it through the bottom 1.5" TC fitting through about 20 feet of 1/2" silicon tubing.

Do you think the pump can handle filling it from the bottom, especially when it's nearly full with all the weight pushing back on it?

I guess I'll try, and bail if I have problems. It would be pretty sweet though.

Cheers.

It should work fine if you are not pumping up hill in addition to the 20 feet of tube.
Test it with some water to be sure.

I bottom bottom fill the mash vessel on my 50 gallon rig when I mash in and it pumps liquid into the vessel without issue.

Its on a single teir.

As long as the height difference between the final fill level of your conical and the bottom of your kettle is less than 12 ft you will be fine.

Assuming you don't care too much about speed the elevation head is really the only factor in this situation. It does not matter how much fluid is in either tank just the difference in height of the fluid level (and speed of the fluid flow), as counter-intuitive as it may seem.

The 20 ft of tube will have little impact, your head loss (at 12 ft of head based on a March 809HS pump curve) is about 0.05 ft (really small).

Back