Figuring Out My First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FTSUMM

Reaction score
OK, I'M THE NEWBIE OF THE NEWBIES-- I RECIEVED A 'MORE BEER' STARTER KIT FOR CHRISTMAS. I HAD NEVER REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT BREWING MY OWN BEER, I JUST DRANK IT!!! NOW IT'S A WHOLE NEW BALLGAME!

I CAN'T WAIT TO START MY FIRST BATCH, I THINK MY BROTHER IS ACTUALLY MORE EXCITED THAN I AM. THE READING I'VE BEEN DOING, I HAVE COME TO MY OWN OPINION THAT I SHOULD START WITH A FULL BOIL. SO NOW I NEED TO SAVE MY PENNIES AND GET A GOOD KETTLE AND A WORT CHILLER. I GUESS MY QUESTION IS WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ON THIS? I THINK I CAN PRODUCE A GOOD BATCH WITH A PARTIAL BOIL, BUT THE WAY I AM I WANT TO START OUT WITH A LITTLE BIT BETTER (IF IT REALLY IS).

MY NEXT LONG WINDED QUESTION IS; I LOVE IPA. SO I'M THINKING ABOUT EITHER 'MORE BEERS' AMERICAN ALE KIT OR THE ENGLISH IPA KIT. I UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO, BUT...........MY WIFE REALLY DOESN'T LIKE IPA'S. (THIS IS A LONG FIRST POST, THESE BEERS MUST BE GETTING TO ME:cross:) I GUESS MY QUESTIONS IS WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ABOUT THESE KITS

THANKS

first off take off your cap locks - it makes for much easier reading :D

secondly, if you think you're gonna want to do all-grain brewing eventually, make sure you buy a big pot (7+ gallons).

You can always do extract and partial mash in a bigger pot. And you can make great beers with extract and partial mash.

But, if your shelling out money for a pot - get a big one!

Read, read, read, on this site, and ask a ton of questions - you'll get good answers!:mug:

Hi FTSUMM...

Please, turn off the caps lock! It is really hard on the eyes :)

You can get a good batch from a partial boil. My first couple of beers were extract with steeping grains in a 3 gallon pot. They turned out great. Yes, a full boil will be better, but you can get really good results from a partial boil.

sorry for the cap locks wasn't paying attention on that :drunk: thanks for the replys. what does everyone think about the beer kits

sorry for the cap locks wasn't paying attention on that :drunk: thanks for the replys. what does everyone think about the beer kits

beer kits make beer -- but I, and others, would encourage you to leave the beer in the fermenter longer than the kit states....

beer kits make beer -- but I, and others, would encourage you to leave the beer in the fermenter longer than the kit states....

+1. I have yet to brew a kit whose instructions were not wrong in at least one facet of the process, if not downright misleading. Follow the 1 wk primary (3 wks if no secondary), 2 wk secondary, 3 wk bottle rule for starters, then adjust longer or shorter depending on what you end up brewing later. :mug:

I just started doing full boils and I think that they have turned out better than the partial boils. If you plan on doing full boils you will probably need a wort chiller. the first time I did a full boil I had a hard time getting it cooled down with 20 lbs. of ice and a big tub. With the wort chiller it cooled down in about 15 minute. You will also need a turkey fryer to get 51/2 to 6 gallons to get a rolling boil.

Back