Fifth Last Drop, a record?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
IMG_20191231_101235.jpg

Should be "Near Boil, No Problem".

fwiw, one can reliably pasteurize beer with temperatures as low as ~130°F if it's maintained long enough (100 minutes iirc)...

Cheers!

Should be "Near Boil, No Problem".

fwiw, one can reliably pasteurize beer with temperatures as low as ~130°F if it's maintained long enough (100 minutes iirc)...

Cheers!
The near boil temperature is not directed specifically at pasteurization, but at hop isomerization which begins around 185.

From my perspective that only adds to the perception that there's not that much novelty (or risk) involved.
Admittedly, while it's a divergence from the more classic practices and somewhat interesting I guess, there are folks using glorified coffee urns to brew beer. So...

Cheers! ;)

Couple no boil threads here on HBT. My hard lemonades are no boil. Just heat water to melt the concentrate. Done a couple of no heat all DME Hefes. Other guys appear to have success with IPAs heated to 185. Fun stuff...

Fun stuff...

It is.

@Steveruch 's recipes ignore a bunch of the 'rules of thumb' in tips & trick for excellent extract beers. Combined with the threads you mentioned, maybe 2020 will see "Tips and Tricks for brewing excellent no-boil extract beers at home".

Me me (I'm one of those who like a little 'classic' bitterness in my NEIPAs) a hop steep at around 185 seems to be "just right". At around 195, the beer is definitely heading towards the west coast.

I've also done some BBR "hop sampler" with the lid on - ending at around 180 after 20 minutes. Very different beer from when I leave the lid off and end up in the 150s.

It is.

@Steveruch 's recipes ignore a bunch of the 'rules of thumb' in tips & trick for excellent extract beers. Combined with the threads you mentioned, maybe 2020 will see "Tips and Tricks for brewing excellent no-boil extract beers at home".

I like to think mine are pretty close to excellent. The brewer at Port'oPints, after tasting one of my batches, said he wouldn't have known it was no-boil if I hadn't told him.

@Steveruch : at the end of the article, you mention that the batches haven't cleared very well. I'm curious as to what you have tried.

As I've started to look into clarity with extract-based recipes, I reviewed a number of home brewing books from the mid-2010s. I want to try what I found before talking about it. Knowing what you've tried (and didn't work for you) could be helpful

@Steveruch : at the end of the article, you mention that the batches haven't cleared very well. I'm curious as to what you have tried.

As I've started to look into clarity with extract-based recipes, I reviewed a number of home brewing books from the mid-2010s. I want to try what I found before talking about it. Knowing what you've tried (and didn't work for you) could be helpful
I've found that more time helped. Later batches, except the coconut wheat, seem to clear okay with a bit of aging.

Reading other forums I've found the pre-packaged canned "kits" are far more popular in England and Australia than they are in the states and there is a LOT more variety. Reading reviews on them they seem to be more than just palatable and are actually quite good. Most of these kits are of the "no boil" variety. Seems lots of brewers "pimp" these with dry hops, partial mashes, steeped grains, etc.

The low quality canned kits sold in the states twenty plus years ago are long gone and quality seems to have improved tremendously. Will these be as good as a well put together all-grain beer? Probably not but, they will make a good enough beer for most people especially those that don't have the time or money to invest in more advanced equipment.

All the Best,
D. White

FWIW, I see a couple of different approaches that use the title "no-boil":
  • no-boil (pasteurized): use a hop stand temperature to get the desired bitterness. faster than "15 minute pale ale" approaches as there is less to heat / cool.
  • no-boil (pasteurized, concentrated wort): what @Steveruch 's recipes do. use a hop stand temperature to get the desired bitterness. faster than "no-boil (pasteurized)" for a couple of reasons.
  • no-boil (no heat): use dry hopping (or perhaps a hop tea made in a side pot) to get desired bitterness. The 'nagging' question remains: Is the lack of DME pasteurization a mistake?
  • No-boil kits (hopped extract).

• no-boil (no heat): use dry hopping (or perhaps a hop tea made in a side pot) to get desired bitterness. The 'nagging' question remains: Is the lack of DME pasteurization a mistake?

If the dme has been properly packaged and handled pasteurization shouldn't be an issue.

I've found that more time helped. Later batches, except the coconut wheat, seem to clear okay with a bit of aging.

Thanks! I recently brewed a 30 minute extract+steep batch (partially to refresh myself on the color impact of longer boils) and decided to let this one sit in primary until it clarified. It took about 3 weeks (measuring from the brew day). I'll bottle it in a day or two, so I'll have some "in the glass results" in 2 to 3 weeks.

I've found that more time helped.

Followup to my previous post. The beer was amazingly clear when warm; when chilled, it picks up a little chill haze.

Process was "non-standard" for an extract-based recipe: added all DME (and some CaCl) at flame-on with a whisk ("don't fear the foam"), slowly heated to 160F-ish (flakes show up in the wort at around 140F); 30 min "FWH" addition, full volume 30 min boil (aiming for a 'simmer' [1]); rapid cool down from boil (208-ish to 160s in around 3 minutes); no Irish Moss or Whilrfloc; no hop steep or dry hop additions; bottled after five weeks in primary (but as I noted in my previous reply, #15, the beer cleared well after about 3 weeks).

I changed a bunch of stuff at the same time (and got a desired result); so there is the obvious topic about what changes really matter. My experiences suggest that the clarity may be due to a combination of things (probably time, probably quick chill down, possibly in the way I handled the DME before the boil; maybe the CaCl addition).

[1] Boiling Wort Visual Reference [YouTube link]

Latest posts

Back