FG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshearer9

Reaction score
Hi, I'm William and I brewed my first batch and was wondering about the FG measuring before bottling. So I want to bottle my 2 week old fermenting beer and I was wondering if I have to take a few days to look at the final gravity to see if it's stable or if I can go straight to bottling after 2 weeks without checking FG? Please help me out so I can maybe bottle tomorrow!

Thanks!

You will need to take at least two SG readings, two to three days apart, to know if your beer had reached final gravity. Some yeasts may take a few weeks to ferment down the last one ot two gravity points.

Bottling before final gravity is reached, the fermentation finishing in the bottle, can be dangerous.

What did you brew, and what yeast did you use?

Due to the risk of bottle bombs and the unpredictability of fermentation (depends on yeast, temperature, the gravity of the wort, the health of the yeast, etc.) you are always better off and safer to bottle only after you confirm you have reached your final gravity by taking samples.

I brewed the India Pale Ale kit by Brewers best and the yeast was Bry-97

If I were absolutely not going to use a hydrometer, I'd give it 3 weeks, to be absolutely sure (yeast dependent).

It is a risk to bottle without being sure that you truly have final gravity. I have bottled with taking one reading. It was below the predicted FG listed in the instructions and was at 3 weeks after a healthy looking fermentation.

If you are not afraid of flying glass - go for it......

meh, for the most part, most fermentations will be complete at 10 days. That is granted that you pitched enough healthy yeast. bry-97 is basically us-05 which is basically wlp001, which is basically wyeast 1056 (or whatever order you prefer of comparing those). Danstar claims it can be finished in 4 days because of very vigorous fermentation.

Now as a new brewer it's always good practice to measure the gravity. Wait two days. Then measure again. If they're the same you know you've likely reached FG for most yeast strains. Once you start getting the hang of things (I'm not talking like after your fifth brew, but more like your 25th brew), then you'll have started to understand how the fermentation process goes. You'll also have started to get more aspects of the fermentation process under control... hopefully. At that point you will pretty much know when your fermentation is complete with most of your brews, and taking only 1 FG reading won't likely do you in.

I still like to know my abv, so I always take FG readings. It's also a way for me to check on my mashing processes (if it came out as predicted, too high, meaning I mashed too high, or too low, meaning I mashed too low.), but also a way for me to see how my yeast are performing (which is especially good to know the more generations into harvesting I get).

Either way, I would say, for now, check your gravity readings twice, two days apart, before you bottle it.

Back