FG 1015. Can I stabilise and bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The forager

Reaction score
Hi. I added sucrose to a wine kit I made. Has been fermenting 27 July (7!day kit). The reading is sitting at 1.015 for days now. Can I stabilise, back sweeten and bottle? It’s very dry.

i'm not a winemaker, but i'd be curious how you measured the FG of 1.015? doesn't sound like it should be dry?

(just asking because sometimes when people are learning they're unaware refractometers are effected by the presence of ethanol, and give falsely high readings when it's present)

Last edited:
i'm not a winemaker, but i'd be curious how you measured the FG of 1.015? doesn't sound like it should be dry?

(just asking because sometimes when people are learning they're unaware refractometers are effected by the presence of ethanol, and give falsely high readings when it's present)
Ah you are spot on. I used a Refractometer. It’s .990 on the hydrometer. I have a lot to learn! Thank you.

I will stabilise, give it a few hours and backsweeten. Thanks again.

another trick if you're interested, if you punch 4 BRIX, and .990 into a calc...i can tell you started with around a OG of 1.060? and this wine is 9% ABV?

(i just learned that one last year myself, i think it's pretty cool! :mug:)

Why 4 Brix? Yes I only realised it was a table wine so I dumped a fair bit of sugar into it. So it seems the ABV is still very low if your calc is correct. That’s crap.

1015 FG doesn't seem dry but if you want it sweeter back sweeten and then add sorbate to stabilize.
Yes have done it. Just a pity the ABV is so low. Especially with the amount of extra sugar I added during fermentation.

Will have to use the hydrometer instead of the Refractometer until I gain more experience.

The yeast may have ran out of nutrients and stalled. Sugar has no nutrients and you need to add some in many cases when large amounts of sugar are added.

The yeast may have ran out of nutrients and stalled. Sugar has no nutrients and you need to add some in many cases when large amounts of sugar are added.
Good to know. I’ll definitely add nutrients next time. Thank you.

Back