FG 1.008???? Damn!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
I brewed my Irish Draught Ale and started with an OG of 1.046. I pitched 1L of starter and it took off like mad. 10 days later I checked the gravity and it reads 1.008, perhaps even a tad less. Wow, could this be accurate? I didn't think it was possible to come out with an FG that low. I guess the meter doesn't lie...

That's what a proper pitching rate with healthy yeast will get you! Cheers!

I commonly get a finish like that with an OG like that,what yeast did you use? Thats good you made beer!Or at least the yeast did.But you helped.If it end up drier than you intened you will learn what to do to make a higher finish,like yeast,certain malts,and other techniques.It may not be in the full bodied range but it is stronger than what it could have been.

I used White Labs Irish Ale yeast (recycled). This particular batch had the fastest, most aggressive fermentation I've seen yet. I think yeast starters ought to be the law, totally worth the extra effort.

sounds good im shure it will be a great beer.if not at first then age it a bit.

I commonly get a finish like that with an OG like that,what yeast did you use? Thats good you made beer!Or at least the yeast did.But you helped.If it end up drier than you intened you will learn what to do to make a higher finish,like yeast,certain malts,and other techniques.It may not be in the full bodied range but it is stronger than what it could have been.

This. Sometimes a beer with a gravity lower than 1.050 really doesn't need the starter to finish properly. Over pitching a beer that is supposed to leave some residual sugars can leave it dry and thin in body. The Irish should be great! But the general attitude that "more yeast is better always" can result in less than ideal beer. I wouldn't use a starter for a mild stout, for instance.

I did pitch a 1L starter for my mild stout and it was thin and dry. Not bad, just not as much body as I would have liked, now I know why. The Irish ale should be a refreshing change from my current Scottish Ale, very rich and malty, but quite good (7% ABV).

Just be carefull of high temps,then it will need quite a bit of age,maybe.keep it 60's low if possible for most ales.

The Irish Stout style is supposed to be on the dry side, so you would expect a pretty low FG. You're good to go!

Latest posts

Back