Few n00b questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNM

Reaction score
Hi everyone from CT!

I'm on my first batch of beer ever (first of MANY if all goes to plan) and I have a couple of questions which I've tried to google the heck out of but to no avail.

At the moment, i'm making an Old Speckled Hen clone which I got from my excellent HBS (though they're closed on Sundays) and I've decided to primary in a carboy as I can control temps easier in my basement through a cooler/aquarium heater setup and use this throughout the process. It's now been 7 days and the krausen looks like it's starting to subside with less bubbles in the airlock. Looked pretty 'normal' to me thus far.

1. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading since it entered the carboy. When i'm ready to using my sampler, is there a procedure to pull the airlock/bung out as i'm worried about the water/sanitiser mix plopping back in? (or does that not happen). I have a 3 piece airlock.

2. As I don't want to have OCD about my first brew, is now the time I should be looking at it? I don't want to keep pulling the airlock out, taking samples if that's going to ruin it. Is a week a good time or should I be leaving well alone (instructions say 1 week primary and then secondary until completion)

3. When it's complete (the right hydrometer reading) i'm kegging and intending to force carbonate. The instructions for bottling are to condition for around two weeks. If my Hen is ready and I put it in the keg, must it still sit for those two weeks still or does this speed up as to when it'll be ready?

I'm going to a brewing class at the HBS next week (where I brought the kit) with many questions though these were bothering me, so thanks in advance for any help! :mug:

Andy

1.) Bubbling (or lack of) is NOT a sign of fermentation. Feel free to search this forum and find multiple threads that address this.

2) "Inpatience is a brewer's worst enemy!" OCD is actually probaby helpful if it applies to sanitation, but possibly detrimental to the fermentation. Good rule of thumb is 2 weeks in primary. Then take gravity readings to see if you maintain FG (i usually take 2 or consecutive days). If so, then 2 wks in secondary (or leave it in primary, AND trust me when I tell you to just search that thread instead of starting another 5 or 6 page thread that asks that question)!!)
Then bottle and condition at room temp for 2-3 wks and then cold crash.

3.) Kegging does not speed up the process. Still want to condition that beer in the keg for a period of time before carbonating. This allows the yeasties to really finish up this long process that they have been working towards. At this point, they go back and find ANY remaining "food" which in most cases is the very waste products that they made during fermentation which can lead to off flavors. So the conditioning process is important but not critical. I am sure that many a homebrewer including myself has dipped into their supply a little early.

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks, that info does help A LOT! appreciate it.

Not sure if I was being clear on my first question. I was probably wrongly assuming that when you take the bung out the lack of gas could cause the liquid from the airlock to drop out of the bottom of the bung or does it tend to not happen due to the design/being held tight. I want to avoid the liquid in the airlock flying back into the beer.

I apologize, I did not read that first question entirely.

The water/sanitizer mixture will not get sucked back into the beer, and even if it did, the mixture will not hurt the beer.

Hi thanks, that info does help A LOT! appreciate it.

Not sure if I was being clear on my first question. I was probably wrongly assuming that when you take the bung out the lack of gas could cause the liquid from the airlock to drop out of the bottom of the bung or does it tend to not happen due to the design/being held tight. I want to avoid the liquid in the airlock flying back into the beer.

Just removing the bung shouldnt cause the liquid in your airlock to leak out the bottom unless you really tilt it as you remove it. I always use starsan in my airlock to be safe. It won't hurt the beer if some starsan gets in it. If you are not using starsan as your sanitizer, start. It is fantastic stuff and very affordable.

Do make sure that you sanitize the bung before you put it back on the carboy.

thanks for that tip too i'll make sure to do that. I've been using Starsan all the way and the airlock was filled with so that puts my mind at rest. Think I just need to get over that fear of the thinking Starsan kills everything known to man ;)

Latest posts

Back