Fermerter Problem, No Power 24hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc4466

Reaction score
I finished a batch of an Irish Red ale yesterday, hit all my marks and was excited when I placed it into the fermenter a modified old upright refrigerator. Unfortunately somehow the power strip the fridge is plugged into tripped and only now, 24hrs later I noticed. After cleaning up the mess made from the rapidly reproducing yeast I got it on again and cooling down but I think this batch of beer may be doomed as a result of the problem. The thermometer in the fridge read 85F. Anyone else have anything similar happen? Any advice on salvaging these 10 gal of beer or am I hoping against hope?

85F is mighty high unless you are doing a Saison. What was your original temp and yeast pitch? Only option you have is to maintain desired ferm temp and let it ride.

Let it finish and taste it. If you like - enjoy! If not - let it kiss the drain. Making beer continues to surprise me at every turn. Think you screwed it up - it taste great. Think you did everything right - seems to be a bit off. Nothing to loose here. Lessons learned are always more accurate when you have the most data. If you toss it now, the terrorists win. :)

85F is mighty high unless you are doing a Saison. What was your original temp and yeast pitch? Only option you have is to maintain desired ferm temp and let it ride.

Let it finish and taste it. If you like - enjoy! If not - let it kiss the drain. Making beer continues to surprise me at every turn. Think you screwed it up - it taste great. Think you did everything right - seems to be a bit off. Nothing to loose here. Lessons learned are always more accurate when you have the most data. If you toss it now, the terrorists win. :)

Thanks for responding, I figured letting it ride was all I could really do so screw the terrorist, lets see how this goes. Original wort temp was 72F, same as the yeast starter. The recipe (Credit to: Saccharomyces) called for 65F primary and 72F secondary. Doesn't smell bad so far, actually smells pretty good but who knows what the Taste will be like.

I had one that fermented really hot, the undesirables eventually faded. Try it, if you think it could be better let it sit for a month and try it again.

Years ago I accidentally left a small space heater on in the closet I fermented in while brewing an Irish Red with Wyeast Irish ale yeast. Temp hit 85 the first night and the beer tasted like fruit punch and moonshine and gave me killer headaches. I powered through a handful of bottles before giving in and dumping it. Hope your situation isn't as bad.

Back