Fermentors for small batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
What size jugs/carboys would you recommend I use for a 1 gallon batch and a 2.5 gallon batch?

Maybe a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon or would that be too much headroom?

I just did a 1 gal test batch in a 2 gal fermenting bucket (I think it was 3.00 at my LHBS). It has a hole for an airlock just like a big bucket. For the bigger batch, maybe a 3 gal carboy?

I was also thinking of getting a Mr beer kit to try out for fun and then use that as a test fermentor

All I can provide to this is that I brew 2.5 gallon batches and use 5 gal carboys all the time, without any problems.

As mentioned, there are a lot of custom sized fermenting vessels out there.

Alternately, any food-safe plastic or glass container will work. Plastic food buckets come in a variety of sizes and typically seal well. Get a hole-saw of the appropriate size for a stopper and you're good to go. Just make sure it held something that didn't leave a strong odor or it will transfer to your beer (pickles, kraut).

There are a lot of folks on here that don't even worry about airlocks, they just use plastic film and secure that over the top. Not my thing, but it works for many and means you could ferment in almost anything.

I've been doing 2.5 gallon batches in a 3 gallon carboy, but I've had to use a blow-off tube as the krausen really creeps up into the neck of the bottle. First time I noticed a little brown crap in the fermentation lock after the first night, so I've used the tube ever since.

I've done 2 1/2 gallon batches in my 6 1/2 gallon fermenter. Once fermentation starts the beer should have a layer of CO2 over it so as long as you aren't moving it around it is protected and with that much headroom I never worry about a blowoff tube.

Back