Fermenting Temps went high last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooblue02

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Quick question as I know it is always asked but... my basement de-humidifier went south last night and the basement got a little warm (upper 70's). I had two batches of IPA, one with WLP-01 and one with SF-05. The WLP had been going since Sat, and the 05 was pitched Monday. I couldn't do anything this morning but I did run home at lunch and put them both in a swamp cooler type set up. The temps on the side were at 78 on both fermenters. The basement had cooled down to 75

Is there any damage you think to the beer or off flavors? I could smell decent IPA aromas coming from the air locks and there was signs a fermentation still going but being in plastics buckets it's hard to say what was really going on.

I am planning on letting them sit for another 10-14 days and I have a fridge and temp controller arriving Friday so hopefully this won't be an issue again. Should I get them in the fridge ASAP and out of the swamp coolers?

Would dry hopping be of any help to flavor if they do taste a little off?

Thanks and Cheers!

Temp control is most important in the early hours of fermentation. Many people begin ramping temp up after a few days as off flavor production isn't an issue anymore. I'd bet the one form Saturday is fine, the one from Monday probably is too but time will tell.

I have had similar issues in the past and my beer turned out fine. I had a little fusel alcohol taste in one pale ale but it still tasted great. It is still some of my friends favorite home brew.

Swamp coolers are under 70 but the temp on the beer remains the same. No air lock activity or very slight. Only time will tell I suppose. I’ll get it in the fermentation chamber just as soon as I can. Thanks guys!

i fermented a belgian wit at 95f for a couple days. suprisngly turned out good.

also, dont let an ipa sit to long. drink that sucker young!

Back