Fermenting on the cold side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matyas

Reaction score
Hello again everyone,
My first beer is brewing away. (Thanks to everyone for the tips so far.) Awhile back, I posted that I when I went to take a gravity reading, the result was much higher than it should be. I worried a bit, but reading some advice on this board, I decided to just wait it out and see what happens. I decided that I'd give it a week, and then repitch the yeast if necessary.
It's been a week and a half since then. I went to take a gravity reading yesterday, but I discovered that I broke my hydrometer after I had already removed a sample. I decided to give it a taste just because I already had a sample anyway. The beer was obviously flat, but it seemed to be about the right consistency and there were no off-flavors. In fact, it seemed to be pretty good and tasted like the style (red ale.) Of course I'm going to buy a new hydrometer and take some readings before proceeding, but the taste test confirmed to me that I think I'm on the right track.
The main question I want to pose is this:
The fermentor was left in a drafty corner of my poorly-insulated old city rowhouse. The thermometer strip on the side consistently gave readings in the low 60s, which I understand is low for ale. Fermentation did take awhile to get started (about 30 hours or so), and seemed to slow down so much after four days that I was no longer getting bubbles in the airlock (although it apparently was continuing.) Could the somewhat low temperature have been a factor in this? The beer also seemed surprisingly crisp and clear (in a good way.) Could the low temperature have caused it to take on some lager-like qualities?

I've fermented in the high 50's before, and the beer turned out fine. So I'm sure you'll be good. Some lighter bodied, light flavor beers will give a "sulfuric" off flavor if fermented too cold, but I'm sure that you would have picked that up by tasting your hydro-sample.

I will say that you should get a new hydrometer to find out when to bottle, though. Make sure that your FG is where it should be.

If you want to do some additional reading, check the link.
http://www.winning-homebrew.com/temperature-control.html

Low 60's are low for many ale styles, but not all. What kind of yeast did you use, and what were the recommended temperatures on it?

I don't think a fermentation in the low 60's would be unreasonable for many ale yeasts . . . so you'll probably still ferment out . . . but if you get a chance, just before you think you're done, swirl (GENTLY!!) your fermenter a bit, and move it into a slightly warmer area (high 60's to low 70's) to improve attenuation. You'll only need to do this for about 2-3 days prior to bottling.

Obviously, you'll want hydrometer readings, just to be sure you've finished fermenting.

As for the lack of "visible signs" of fermentation, that is nothing to worry about. Bubbles in the airlock generally stop after about 3-4 days. Yeast are still hard at work.

Lower fermentation temperatures generally produce less esters, resulting in what you're describing as a "crisp and clear" taste.

Was this an extract brew? Did you do a smaller boil and then top up with water? Getting an accurate OG is quite hard to do with extracts. If you followed the recipe and added everything you should have the actual number isn't as important as having a stable FG before you bottle.

What kind of yeast did you use? 60's will be fine for most of them, but you can find the temp ranges that yeast strains 'like' online. The side thermometer is usually off (on the low side) as the yeast create heat in their process.

Bubbles are not an accurate indication of fermentation. For instance, if you transfered to your beer to a secondary fermentor you'd get a bubbling airlock from trapped CO2... Just because it stopped bubbling doesn't mean the little guys aren't still busy.

Don't worry, add your broken hydro story to the thread that we've got on HBT and happy brewing.

Thanks for all the responses, guys.
To answer some questions, yes, it was an extract brew, and yes I did do a smaller boil and then top off.
I'm not sure what kind of yeast is was other than the fact that it was a dry yeast. The brand is whatever Brewer's Best uses in their kits.
I did do an OG reading before pitching the yeast, and it was right where it was supposed to be.
I probably could have done a few things better when pitching the yeast. I had been told to add the dry yeast to warm water and let it sit for 15 minutes to activate it before pitching. I forgot to do this, and just dumped the yeast on top of the beer in the fermentor.
I also probably didn't aerate it well enough.
In any case, it does seem like it's going to turn out alright. I'll get a new hydrometer and take readings on four successive days before bottling.

I always ferment my ales in the low 60's for the first 5-7 days and then bring the temp up to 68 for the remaining 14 days. I always leave my beers in the fermenter for 21 days minimum and my beers are always clean and crisp with no off flavors when I do!

The biggest beginner mistakes in home brewing are:

1. Being impatient! Give the beer time to ferment out and condition away off flavors! (3 weeks minimum!)

2. Fermenting too warm! Yeast create heat as they ferment the sugars so if you want to ferment at 65F the air temp where the fermenter is placed should be about 60F at least for the first few days of active fermentation with krausen (foam) on top of the beer.

3. Tasting their beer too soon after bottling! Yes it might be carbonated after 7-10 days in bottles but it is NOT READY! 3 weeks in bottles minimum if you want tasty beer!

have fun in this rewarding hobby!

Save yourself the time, take one reading, wait a few days, take another. As long as you're sanitized you can take as many as you want, but you don't need to be that hardcore if you don't want to be.

Back