Fermenting like crazy a bad thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I just see this in so many threads, usually as a good thing.

Generally, a furious fermentation means the temp is too high.

Since I have focused on temp control my beer has gotten better.

Once a fermentation has gotten going, it is usually too late to cool it because it is making more and more of it's own heat.

I pitched on a yeast cake yesterday at about 4PM....by 5PM it was almost out of the top of the carboy and the kraussen has started falling and fermentation slowing down already this morning. temp controller says it never got above 19 degrees Celcius.

I do know that from the 2 batches I made that I would classify as overfermented, both stalled when bottle carbonating after 3-4 weeks. So both I had to go back and add carb drops to each of the bottles. These also though had a OG of 1.080 -1.090

I pitched on a yeast cake yesterday at about 4PM....by 5PM it was almost out of the top of the carboy and the kraussen has started falling and fermentation slowing down already this morning. temp controller says it never got above 19 degrees Celcius.

Internal temp?

That much yeast will also compound each other and cause furious fermentation, but the cause is overpitching, a separate issue.

I dump 3/4 of a yeast cake and pitch on the remaining 1/4.

temp probe against the side of the carboy covered with several layers of bubble wrap. yes an entire yeast cake

I always ferment using US-05 yeast and 6 gallon better bottles. From my temp readings I can keep the beer liquid temp at 65F if I keep the fermentation chamber set at 60F for the first 7 days and then set the ambient up to 65F for the next 14 days and then bottle. Beer comes out crisp and clean. I get high krausen 24 hours after pitching, krausen falls 7-9 days after pitching and beer clears around 14 days. Keeping the beer temp from rising above 65 means I never need a blow off tube because I never get explosive fermentation.

I always ferment using US-05 yeast and 6 gallon better bottles. From my temp readings I can keep the beer liquid temp at 65F if I keep the fermentation chamber set at 60F for the first 7 days and then set the ambient up to 65F for the next 14 days and then bottle. Beer comes out crisp and clean. I get high krausen 24 hours after pitching, krausen falls 7-9 days after pitching and beer clears around 14 days. Keeping the beer temp from rising above 65 means I never need a blow off tube because I never get explosive fermentation.

EXACTLY.

That is my process as well.

And, again, I am not saying "HOLY EFFF YOUR BEER IS RUINED!!!!"

I am just saying that I would not be happy about furious fermentation.

I have found no relation to furious fermentation and the quality of the beer. I use a swamp cooler and have the stick on thermometers plus another one with the lead covered with a cloth taped to the side of the carboy.

I have had some with very slow gentle fermentations and others that needed a blow off tube. Some of the ones that reacted in the extremes were similar recipes with the same yeast.

IMO if the procedure/temperatures are good the difference is that the yeast are going to do what they want to do. Fast, slow, violent or gentle it makes no difference.

I have found no relation to furious fermentation and the quality of the beer. I use a swamp cooler and have the stick on thermometers plus another one with the lead covered with a cloth taped to the side of the carboy.

I have had some with very slow gentle fermentations and others that needed a blow off tube. Some of the ones that reacted in the extremes were similar recipes with the same yeast.

IMO if the procedure/temperatures are good the difference is that the yeast are going to do what they want to do. Fast, slow, violent or gentle it makes no difference.

Could be right. In my bucket, I don't see how "furious" the yeast are going.

My point was only to noobs, that fast and furious is not the good thing that they think it is.

It may not be bad, or it may be banana beer.

I just see this in so many threads, usually as a good thing.

Generally, a furious fermentation means the temp is too high.

Since I have focused on temp control my beer has gotten better.

Once a fermentation has gotten going, it is usually too late to cool it because it is making more and more of it's own heat.

I agree with what you are saying. I do think that the other side of this coin is that you have a much better chance of an active, strong fermentation if you pitch at the correct rate, have good O2 levels and in general have been kind to your yeast. It is all a big ballancing act...or a crap shoot depending on your perspective. I know the more that I am able to control my process the more that I want to control my process.

Exactly. Not meant to be a lecture on temp control , but to your point badhabit, control what you can, especially when it is so simple.

In a bathtub with a shirt over it is better than nothing, and next to no trouble.

Latest posts

Back