Fermenting in Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txflmike

Reaction score
I live in Florida and just brewed an "All Malt Pilsner". The directions that came with the recipe didn't really specify what temperature the beer should be while fermenting and I'm concerned about the heat here. Any ideas on what the temp range should be and the best way to cool it down if needed ? It's fermenting in a 6 gal carboy. Thanks.

Hey in Florida here too. Ah well what was your yeast? Lager yeast needs to slowly over a few days drop to the 50's preferably lower with a pilsner where yeast flavors aren't as desired. I built a son of fermentation chiller and i still don't think i would risk a lager down here the lagering temps i just cant hit until i get a big ass chest freezer. A mini fridge with a temp controller is next on my fermentation check list.

Now that being said i have heard great things about wyeasts bohemian lager strain at ale temps. A swamp Cooler could work if you are vigilant with the temp. A fan can add to the cooling ability.

Target temp is determined by the yeast, not the malt. However, if this was a pilsner, that is a lager. Lagers require good temp control at low temps (mid 50s or lower). If you have no other options, a simple tub full of water is a good way to keep it below room temp. Swapping out frozen water bottles is the next good step.

Ideally for a lager, you have a fridge or freezer with a temp controller to hold low to mid 50s.

freisste said:
Target temp is determined by the yeast, not the malt. However, if this was a pilsner, that is a lager. Lagers require good temp control at low temps (mid 50s or lower). If you have no other options, a simple tub full of water is a good way to keep it below room temp. Swapping out frozen water bottles is the next good step.

Ideally for a lager, you have a fridge or freezer with a temp controller to hold low to mid 50s.

Thanks...the name says Pilsner but the yeast says ale yeast. I don't have the original yeast package. Temp is staying around 76 and has been fermenting for 4 days. Any sense in cooling it down now and agitating or do I leave it alone and ride it out ?

Any benefit of temperature control is generally seen in the first 24 - 72 hours. If you drop it now the yeast could go dormant and your beer wouldn't attenuate all the way. Best practice is to pitch the yeast when the wort's at fermentation temp and raise the temp if anything.

If it's been fermenting for 4 days, temp control is no longer a factor. Fermentation produces heat, so your beer was actually fermenting in the the low 80's which is going to produce some fruity ester flavors.

Good temperature control is critical to making good beer. A swamp cooler is a high maintenance but cheap solution; a chest freezer with an aftermarket temp controller is really the way to go IMO.

Back