Fermenting in a SS pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brounds24

Reaction score
I have a 25 Gallon SS pot with lid. My friends in I want to make an all grain 15 gallon Pumking clone (which has a huge grain bill). With the dimensions of the cooler we are using to ferment in we cant fit 3 carboys in it, but the pot just fits with the lid. would there be any problems if we kept the pot covered and fermented in that? would pressure be an issue since the lid doesnt snap over the pot. Thanks!

I have a friend who has made a cider in her brew pot without any issues. I'm going with the standard "non-perfect seal on primary is fine." If bulk aging is part of the equation you're on your own.

I have a friend who has made a cider in her brew pot without any issues. I'm going with the standard "non-perfect seal on primary is fine." If bulk aging is part of the equation you're on your own.

So okay for primary fermentation, but not for secondary? Its only 2 weeks secondary, but i dont know if thats considered bulk

With an air lock, probably ok. Without, i'd be worried about the lid sliding off. Also, with an air lock, use clothes pins or something.

I'd just be concerned about fruit flies. Could you use silicone caulk on the edge of the lid and just peel it off after you rack your beer? Obviously would need an airlock.

I'd just be concerned about fruit flies. Could you use silicone caulk on the edge of the lid and just peel it off after you rack your beer? Obviously would need an airlock.

even if the vessel is going to be inside of a beverage cool that will be seal so it stays at 66 degree?

Sorry didn't notice that part. If they're in a sealed anf refrigerated unit it should be fine.

Back