Fermenting in a mini-fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
I would like to try fermenting a lager in a corny keg in my Oster mini-fridge that also serves as a 2-tap kegerator. I have a Johnson A419 digital temperature controller, so I have everything I need to make this happen. However, I want to make sure that running my fridge on an external temperature controller won't shorten the lifespan of my kegerator. Are there any precautions I should take to ensure that the compressor doesn't cycle too much, etc.?

If anyone can chime in on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure about yours but my serving temp is lower than my fermenting temp with lagers and the same as my lagering temp and it cycles as normal

I am using an Oster 5.0cft mini fridge as my fermentaion chamber with a Ranco Digital Controller and I have noticed that the fridge runs less than if I am just running it on it's own.
I set the fridge's thermostat to the coldest setting and then use the Ranco for my temp control.
Once I load it up with my fermenter I don't open the fridge untill the beer is ready to be racked or transfered into a keg. Like I said above it seems to run less once it gets to my set temp.

I am using an Oster 5.0cft mini fridge as my fermentaion chamber with a Ranco Digital Controller and I have noticed that the fridge runs less than if I am just running it on it's own.
I set the fridge's thermostat to the coldest setting and then use the Ranco for my temp control.
Once I load it up with my fermenter I don't open the fridge untill the beer is ready to be racked or transfered into a keg. Like I said above it seems to run less once it gets to my set temp.

That's good to know- have you expanded the fridge to provide a larger space for fermenters, or are you fermenting in cornies? Do you have the temperature probe in the open air in the fridge, or taped to or inside the fermenter?

No Mods done to the fridge yet, but due to the compressor hump in the bottom of the fridge I have to use the lower glass shelf, this limits the overall height of my fermenter. Right now I use an Ale Pail with a blow of tube instead of an air lock with no problems.

But I will be removing the molded door shelves soon so I can get a Carboy or Better Bottle in there with no problems and have pleanty of hieght to use a standard air lock.

Back