Fermenting: how long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrayriver

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch of beer-citrus blonde, and I am on the 5th day of fermenting. It was very active for about three days, then the foam sank and now it seems pretty quite with just carbonation bubbles rising. When should I transfer to keg? Is it possible to ferment too long or will fermentation just stop because the yeast stop doing their thing?

Check your gravity with your hydrometer. If you don't have a hydrometer, get one, then check the gravity. If it remains stable over 2-3 days, you can keg it. Then taste it to see if it needs more aging time or if it is ready to be chilled and carbed.

Fermentation often continues after visible signs have died down. Use your hydrometer to decide when it's done.

Five days would be rushing most beers. I typically check the gravity after 2 weeks. You don't lose anything by waiting.

Like everyone else said, the only way to tell if your beer is done fermenting is with a hydrometer. I would wait at least a week to 10 days and then check your gravity two days in a row. If the reading hasn't changed, the fermentation is complete; if it has changed, wait a few more days and try again for two more days. Once it stabilizes, you can either secondary if you wanted, bottle it, keg it, or let it sit in primary for a little longer.

Don't forget the best part of taking hydrometer samples... You get to taste your beer after taking the reading!

Ditto the hydrometer. 5 days is not long enough! If you move to a secondary for another couple weeks you could start checking SG now. If you are leaving in primary relax and give it at least another week or even two. Then you can bottle and let condition......here comes the hard part, leave it in condition for at least three weeks. Lots of debate about secondary fermentation, I happen to think that it is great and IMHO the way to go for better beer unless you have a way to cold crash after fermentation is finished.

I think if you have under 50 posts here, the top of every page should just have a banner that says "buy a hydrometer" in flashing red letters.

Back