Fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maett.gs

Reaction score
Hello,

Typically I ferment my wine now in a fermenting bucket - but instead of moving to a carboy for secondary, can I actually move it to one of my conical fermenters that I use for beer? I'm wondering if I could apply CO2 someway to remove oxygen from the fermenter. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

You could definitely use a conical as a wine secondary. Even a primary too! The nice thing about stainless over plastic is that cleaning and sanitizing is a lot more reliable, especially if you wind up with a spoiled batch. You would definitely have to purge it with co2, just as you would with a corny keg.

You could definitely use a conical as a wine secondary. Even a primary too!
If I wanted to use it as a primary, do you have any advice for dumping the bentonite? I have been making wine kits from WinExpert. My current plan was to do a primary in a fermenting bucket then siphon off for secondary into a Spike Flex+ fermenter.

The nice thing about stainless over plastic ...
I use glass carboys instead of plastic. I'm hoping I could use my stainless fermenters because cleaning carboys is a huge chore :D I'm not sure if I'd want to use plastic.

You would definitely have to purge it with co2, just as you would with a corny keg.
If the fermentation is complete, do you think I would use a gas manifold (l have this: Gas Manifold | Spike Brewing) or would it be better to use something like the Spike All-in-one PRV (https://spikebrewing.com/products/all-in-one-prv)?

Or do I even need to pressurize it at all? How would you propose to purge with CO2?

Thanks for your help!

Purging with fermentation effluent works well for many brewers. Saves on CO2 purchases and avoids impurities (incl. oxygen) in commercial CO2.

Latest posts

Back