fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmathews

Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions on fermenters from you guys. I like the brew bucket by Ss tech but they are never available. Also they have some things I'm not fond of like the racking valve being thread. I've also found these ss stills made of milk cans that look pretty awesome. Tri clamp connections butterfly valves and many ports that could be used for thermometers. The stills are a few bucks more about 25 to 50 so not much but still a negative. What are your thoughts

Would a $200 stainless steel Brew Bucket make my beer taste better than the $10 glass carboy I bought on Kijiji?

I like to have multiple batches going at once. Would I rather spend $1,200 on 6 Brew Buckets, or $60 on 6 glass carboys?

I could brew a lot of beer with that extra $1,140. Or I could buy a lot of other equipment that WOULD result in better-tasting beer, or save me a lot of time, like a better chiller, or some yeast starter equipment, or kegs.

Ya I don't really care for carboys because they are a pain in the ass. So ya I would say the 200 bucks is worth easy of cleaning, not having to use a siphon, or dropping the damn thing and having it shatter, but to each his own. Different strokes for different folks I'm specifically asking about these two products or similar ones that you have have some input on.

Ya I saw those and considered them cause the pressure transfer. Aren't they a pain to clean though

Ya I don't really care for carboys because they are a pain in the ass. So ya I would say the 200 bucks is worth easy of cleaning

A glass carboy is a lot easier to clean than a SS Brew Bucket.

1. Fill carboy with hot water and a scoop of Oxyclean Free.
2. Wait a day.
3. Drain and rinse.

A SS Brew Bucket has 2 ports and a racking tube that are all great places for bacteria to hide.

not having to use a siphon

How is using an autosiphon any more of a pain in the ass than connecting a tube to the outlet valve barb?

or dropping the damn thing and having it shatter

You expect to drop your SS Brew Bucket a lot, do you?

I use a $5 BrewHauler to carry my carboys. And if - heaven forbid - I ever did drop one and break it, I'd just buy another one. For $10.

I could break and re-buy 20 glass carboys for the cost of one SS Brew Bucket.

I'll be honest, it seems to me that you either a) work for the company that makes the SS Brew Bucket and are surreptitiously spamming us, or b) you have your mind made up that you want a blingy, stainless-steel conical and are rationalizing.

I'm saying if I were only ever going to buy one fermenter, it might be a SS Brew Bucket. But I need at least 5 or 6, and now we're talking some serious dough. I can think of a lot of other ways to spend that money that would actually improve the flavour of my beer, or help speed up my brew day.

A glass carboy is a lot easier to clean than a SS Brew Bucket.

1. Fill carboy with hot water and a scoop of Oxyclean Free.
2. Wait a day.
3. Drain and rinse.

A SS Brew Bucket has 2 ports and a racking tube that are all great places for bacteria to hide.

How is using an autosiphon any more of a pain in the ass than connecting a tube to the outlet valve barb?

You expect to drop your SS Brew Bucket a lot, do you?

I use a $5 BrewHauler to carry my carboys. And if - heaven forbid - I ever did drop one and break it, I'd just buy another one. For $10.

I could break and re-buy 20 glass carboys for the cost of one SS Brew Bucket.

I'll be honest, it seems to me that you either a) work for the company that makes the SS Brew Bucket and are surreptitiously spamming us, or b) you have your mind made up that you want a blingy, stainless-steel conical and are rationalizing.

I'm saying if I were only ever going to buy one fermenter, it might be a SS Brew Bucket. But I need at least 5 or 6, and now we're talking some serious dough. I can think of a lot of other ways to spend that money that would actually improve the flavour of my beer, or help speed up my brew day.
I'll just chime in here since while I share a lot of your thoughts , Your being a bit intoleratnt to the fact that others can and do see things differently....
A persons personality and outlook on things is made from the sum of ones experiences.... For example I stopped buying glass carboys when one grenaded all over my den leaving beer and glass everywhere....(My fault? maybe since I didnt have a blowoff tube installed) I still have one glass carboy in use but for me better bottles are a better choice. I just picked up 5 10 gallon stainless firestone kegs for $20 a piece that were missing the dip tubs because someone was using them are fermentors and I may do the same.(well I rebuilt 2 for keg use) others may think buckets with lids are even better than carboys because they are even easier to clean and dryhop with.... Not everyone sees the world through your eyes... look at all the people that think we are silly for making our own beer when its cheaper and easier for most to buy it.... (if you drink enough to hobby might actually pay for itself but most just find ways to justify new more expensive brewing toys.)

Im cheap myself (or rather have set a budget) and use things like the 12v fda approved $21 pumps (both work great and have tradeoffs) which others have found ways to discredit just to justify their $150 pumps... similiar to what your doing in reverse right now.
btw you need to check out the other thread on carboy dangers.... leaving that oxyclean sit in your carboy could be a timebomb waiting to happen.

I'll just chime in here since while I share a lot of your thoughts

Of course you're right, I simply am getting the sense that there's an ulterior motive here that's not being disclosed by the OP. The price difference is enormous, for an item that doesn't improve the resulting beer at all. I wouldn't even consider something as frivilous until I'd already maxxed out all other aspects of my equipment and process that actually affect beer quality, and still had money to burn.

It's just such a giant leap for me to consider paying $200 for something that does the same thing as a $10 item.

btw you need to check out the other thread on carboy dangers.... leaving that oxyclean sit in your carboy could be a timebomb waiting to happen.

I have indeed read the other threads on glass carboy dangers, but I'm not familiar with any threats particular to letting Oxyclean sit in a carboy. Can you elaborate? Are you talking about some sort of pressure build-up and explosion? I don't seal the carboy while it's soaking. Perhaps there's some sort of toxic risk? I was under the impression glass didn't leech any chemicals into it.

You've got my attention - can you elaborate?

I dropped a carboy full of beer on the big toe of my left foot, ouch! After that I looked for alternatives. I saw a youtube of a guy fermenting in soda kegs. I had several extra kegs not in use, so I gave it a try, worked great. Transfer the finished beer under pressure and the kegs are easy to clean. I like the dual purpose of fermenting style of keg for economy.

I watch a video of Lonnie Mac (Brutus Ten fame) moved one of his sanitized kettles into the fridge for a fermenter. Lot of different ways to get it done!

Of course you're right, I simply am getting the sense that there's an ulterior motive here that's not being disclosed by the OP. The price difference is enormous, for an item that doesn't improve the resulting beer at all. I wouldn't even consider something as frivilous until I'd already maxxed out all other aspects of my equipment and process that actually affect beer quality, and still had money to burn.
neither does the fancy $1500-$2000 painted electric controllers with decals and chrome handles or blichmann kettles and all the other top of the line high end frills and bling but many still buy them... different people have different reasons ..some just have the extra money so why not? others want to impress others or prove something to themselves... Many of the same reasons some of us drive chevys and others Ferraris ... the choice is great to have and its the criticism that always does the harm.... look at the "Temperists" from the turn of the century who though alcohol was foolish and unnecessary and pushed those opinions so hard that prohibition was the result....
Just saying tolerance goes a long way... It an area I'm trying to work on too as I have aquired a lot of stereotypes and I'm very opinionated which is usually not a good thing.

as far as the oxyclean... I will see if I can find it but essentially the caustic cleaners can etch the surface of the glass and weaken it especially with prolonged exposure, causing it to eventually give out and break.

The only thing I don't like about fermenting in cornies is there isn't enough head space for 5gal. I'm looking into getting some corny liquid and gas assemblies welded to a 2" tri clover cap.

The only thing I don't like about fermenting in cornies is there isn't enough head space for 5gal. I'm looking into getting some corny liquid and gas assemblies welded to a 2" tri clover cap.

thats why I bought the 10 gallon cornies....(I didnt know they existed till I saw them on craigslist) others use stainless milk jugs with great sucess.

I fear we have hijacked the OPs thread so hopefully someone else has experience with what hes asking about and can offer some insight...

I am moving toward the Speidel myself.

• I've used buckets. The seal wasn't great, probably my fault bu I quickly moved to glass carboys.
  • I've used glass carboys. They work great and aren't terribly hard to clean if you have a keg/carboy cleaner. I put the cleaner in the utility sink, fill it up, add the cowboy and let her rip for 10 -15 minutes. That said, the way my house is setup I have to carry the carboy downstairs after brewing and am always afraid of dropping it.
  • I bought a nice SS conical. Beautiful piece of equipment but going up and down stairs with that was not appealing. I never used it.
  • I have just ordered two speidels. I love that they will be lighter, won't shatter, and think the spigot will be easier than the racking cane.

The BrewBuckets look great, as do conicals, but they are too expensive and not convenient for me.

All that said, if you want the BrewBuckets... go for it. It's your hobby and your beer.

First I am not affiliated with any companies. I am looking to buy one but am between the 2 and looking for help deciding between the 2. Didn't realize I was going to run into someone who works for a company who produces carboys haha jk, but you sound more like a rep then I. Second I like these because I present ferment in a plastic container and it's great. The mouth is nice and wide you can reach inside easy. It has a valve at the bottom that works great for racking or bottling. The lid is a screw top which seals great and I find easier to get off the other buckets. The problem is it scratching and absorbing smells that i cant seem to get rid of. I like these features and I don't see them all in glass. So that leaves me with ss which has other features as well like thermo wells. On top of that they are pretty as well haha. The best part about this is its my money so you don't have to worry about me spending it cause it will never effect you.

1/4 bbl slim Sanke's for me. Couldn't be happier.
Got a pressure washer? Put a 90 deg on the end and wash 'em clean in 5 minutes.

damn, kombat... your username suits you... haha. chilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll out

as far as the oxyclean... I will see if I can find it but essentially the caustic cleaners can etch the surface of the glass and weaken it especially with prolonged exposure, causing it to eventually give out and break

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are referring to the damage that oxyclean will do to stainless, i.e. pitting, etc. not glass.

Wow. It's threads like these that keep people away from boards. The OP asked a reasonable question about an item he is interested in and gets pounced on by someone questioning his motives and accusing him of "spamming us" and being a company rep. On and on about glass carboys. Some of us enjoy this hobby and the assorted equipment and sometimes bling that comes with it. I started with stovetop extract kits and buckets but now gave a single tier with two pumps, HERMS coil, SS QDs and a plate chiller with a lighted sight glass and I ferment in a Brewhemoth. I make great beer and I enjoyed building my brew house. Could I still do extract in buckets? Sure I could. But I choose not to. That's what is fun for me. I enjoy the process as much as the consumption.

Latest posts

Back