Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer4life

Reaction score
I am acquiring equipment to begin all grain brewing for the first time. Just wondering if there are any suggestions for what to use for a fermenter. Anything that will work other than expensive equipment?

Have you done extract before, or are you beginning with AG? The fermentation process and equipment for AG is exactly the same as extract, so you can use whatever you already have if you are already extract brewing.

Buckets/better Bottles, Carboys, or anything else that's food safe and airtight that you can drill a bung hole into. There are pros and cons to each, it pretty much comes down to personal preference that fits into your process.

I have three glass carboys, two better bottles, and three buckets. I find that I use the better bottles and buckets most often, and really only use the glass when I intend to age for a fairly long time. The glass carboys are just too heavy to move around with 5+ gallons of wort in them, so I don't use them all that often.

I use ale pails, but was snooping around on morebeer last night and saw something new that was pretty intriguing. Speidel is making a new plastic fermenter that has me thinking about a change...

Ok. Yes I already extract brew but am still new at it. I just wasn't sure if there was a different process for fermenting. I have two better bottles and two glass carboys. I plan on making ten gallon batches so I guess I could just split it in the carboys.

Process is identical. With 10 gallon batches guessing you have to split - you would need 12 gallons plus to account for head space (I would go higher if possible) and I am not sure the conventional options (carboy, bucket) are that large. The Speidel I mentioned has something like a 14-gallon option that was about $65. That's the cheapest single 10-gallon batch fermenter I know of.

I use ale pails, but was snooping around on morebeer last night and saw something new that was pretty intriguing. Speidel is making a new plastic fermenter that has me thinking about a change...

Saw this as well. I usually use a 15 gallon corney, but I need another 15 gallon fermenter with a shorter profile for those extra batches or when my primary goes long and another brew day is coming up. These look nice.

Back