Fermenter to bottle conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattymaroon

Reaction score
I am going out of town for 10 days starting March 20th. After 7 days of primary fermentation, I moved a coconut brown ale to my secondary fermenter on March 8th. I added unsweetened coconut flakes at this time.

I've thought of 2 options for the brown ale, but if you've got a different idea let me know.

Brown Ale:

A) Bottle the brown ale before I leave, with 2 or 2.5 weeks of fermentation (1 in primary, 1+ in secondary).

I like this option as it wraps up my brew before I leave. However, the brown ale had an original gravity of 1.061, so the yeast could probably do with some extra time in the fermenter.

B) Leave the brown ale in the secondary fermenter until I return.

Perhaps the better option for the brown ale. But this means that it will be sitting with coconut flakes in it for over 3 weeks. Most of what I've read suggests dry hopping for 10 days max, what about with other flavor additions?

I've also got an IPA in primary fermentation, but I can find a suitable solution for it depending on the best course for the brown ale.

Thanks!

Take a gravity reading and taste it. If the gravity is right and the coconut is too strong (or bordering on too strong), get it out of there. If it isn't strong enough, I'd wait it out.

No idea on the coconut, but at 1.061 racked after a week, I'd guess it isn't finished yet. Did you take a reading when you racked it? Should be shooting for something around the 1.010 range.

If its finished, gravity-wise, I'd bottle it.

I always wait until fermentation is done before tinkering with the brew, just so I don't have to worry about that timing. With dry hopping some of my usual recipes, I'll do it once fermentation is mostly done, but I know how those recipes behave for the most part.

Well I took a gravity ready when I transferred it to secondary, was down to 1.022. However, during cleaning, I broke my hydrometer. No LHBS, if I ordered one online it might get here in time. If a gravity reading is key I can order one and cross my fingers.

You don't really need to worry about your gravity reading for transfer now. It should have been at final gravity BEFORE you transferred to secondary.

If you cannot measure your gravity, I would wait until you return and have a hydrometer to proceed to bottling. (I would wait anyway, I never bottle in less that 2 weeks) You do not want bottle bombs.

It is almost always better to go longer than to go shorter. My opinion = wait until you return. A brown ale will benefit from longer aging.

Alright. I think I will leave it in secondary. Thanks for the input everyone. And I'm definitely ordering 2 hydrometers.

I've never heard of coconut flake hops!

1.022 is not finished. Leave it where it is until you get an hydroneter. I would guess you already have most out of the coconut.

Back