Fermenter Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strahmhv

Reaction score
Currently, I use a dorm fridge with the door partially opened... obviously i need to upgrade to a more reliable method.

I've seen the cabinets made on the DIY forums, and they look awesome, but what is the advantage to building a cabinet? I know you can customize the space, and they look much better than a fridge. Is that the only benefit over just hooking up a temp control to a fridge or freezer?

I currently have a dorm fridge, or and old verticle freezer at my disposal. I have plenty of wood/metal/tools available at my shop, but i have no experience working with wiring. So what do you recommend?

Any input would be greatly appreciated and I'll keep you updated on what I do. Thanks.

I built one because the dorm fridge I had was too small to fit a bucket or carboy. wouldnt leave the door cracked though. You are going to get alot of ice build up on your evaporator and your cooling efficiency is going to goto pot. If space isnt an issue than the cabinet is just something to do, but accurate temperature control is a requirement if you ask me.

Thank you. I'll most likely use the old standup freezer with a temp control then. They'll wire into the older freezers also, right? I believe its about 20 or 30 yrs old.

If you need help with the wiring I can guide you through. Click on the link in my sig to the fermentation cabinet and follow the link for the temp controller. It is $49 and that is about the cheapest you will find.

Currently, I use a dorm fridge with the door partially opened... obviously i need to upgrade to a more reliable method.
Here's a dirty, cheap dorm fridge conversion:

Flip over the cooling unit
Remove door shelf
Hacked away some of the insulation in the rear by the compressor compartment
Added thermostat
http://cgi.ebay.com/WEATHERPROOF-LINEVOLTAGE-BARN-GREENHOUSE-THERMOSTAT_W0QQitemZ180186140875QQihZ008QQcategoryZ115948QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

The only bad thing is that the thermostat can not be attached to the carboy. For the first few days it has to be set a little cooler to allow for the heat generated by the fermentation. I have a remote thermometer taped to the carboy so I can see the temperature of the actual wort from the outside and know when an adjustment is needed.

BlowOff06.jpg

The ranco is nice. But the wiring is not that difficult, if you can brew beer you could wire it up. Promise

I use the A419 johnson controls on a chest freezer for temp control, had no previous wiring experience but with the instructions it was easy to do and works great.

Thanks a ton for the input, i'm gonna go with AnOldUR's method temporarily and then wire up the freezer i think. Is the wiring difficult on that thermostat you posted with the ebay link?

This is how I do it, I like the probe down in the wort instead of taped on the side. i use a Thermowell from morebeer.

DSCF0417.jpg
[/IMG]

Latest posts

Back