Fermenter Sump Pump CIP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkenmonk

Reaction score
I've been using 10 and 20 gallon stainless conical fermenters (Blichmann Fermenators) for quite a while. In fact, my first one was the first "fancy" piece of equipment I ever bought ... and totally worth it! Anyways, I've now moved up to a 40 gallon Stout Tanks conical. The way I used to sanitize my fermenters was to completely fill them with iodine solution, soak, and then dump. Now I've moved my brewing operations to a basement where I would have to pump out (no floor drain) and it really seemed like a waste of water to fill at 40 gallon fermenter just to sanitize it. I therefore decided to build a recirculating CIP system ... and it's easy to use, relatively inexpensive, and probably worth using on smaller fermenters!

My CIP system works by pumping solution (can be iodine or PBW) with a sump pump in bucket through a CIP ball, draining by gravity back into the bucket, and recirculating. Since it's recirculating the solution, less solution (and water is needed). Here's the major parts:

For my setup, the pump pumps a lot faster than the fermenter drains. That means I have to cycle it a few times by plugging it in and unplugging it periodically. After using it a few times, I added a simple inline switch using a light switch in a waterproof outdoor enclosure. I then added a couple hooks to hang it on the top edge of the fermenter. This cost a few bucks in parts. See pic below.

On brew day, I set up the fermenter with the pump, hoses, and a 5 gallon bucket filled 3/4 with iodine solution. I first run a few cycles pumping in through the racking arm (and draining out the bottom drain). I then switch to pumping in through the CIP ball (and still drainging out the bottom drain) and run this through 5 or 6 cycles while I'm brewing.

After fermentation is over and I've bottled/kegged, I first roughly hand clean the fermenter with a hose and sponge. Even though the CIP ball sprays pretty well, you need to get in there and scrub off that line of yeast that sticks to the sides of the fermenter at the top of the wort level. I then seal up the fermenter and do the same cycle as brew day except with hot water and PBW. I then follow this with a cycle of just hot water to rinse off the PBW solution. I never used to clean my old fermenters with hot PBW solution, but I got some serious beer stone after a few years. It took some serious hydrochloric acid and scrubbing to get it off. Hopefully this routine cleaning with PBW will avoid beer stone build up ... we'll see.

IMG_4478.JPG

IMG_4479.JPG

IMG_4480.JPG

IMG_4481.JPG

How has the pump stood up to running PBW and Sanitizer through it,any issues?

Thanks, That's the pump I was looking at,1/3 HP version.

DrunkenMonk - I see you are local to me - watch for a PM.

Is that a garden hose with a brass fitting inside your CIP loop?
From experience I now stay away from anything non-stainless and use braided silicon in my CIP loop as the PBW/sani cycles are just brutal on softer metals. Not to mention acid #5 or #6...which is just murder on softer metals. If I were you, I would seriously be thinking of swapping that stuff out longer term... if you have the money for a Stout tank then why skimp where you shouldnt?
Just my .02...

I had just planned on using my March nano pump to clean my two 1 bbl Conicals. Mayhap the cheap sump pump is a better idea. Save wear and tear on the expensive food grade one.

DrunkenMonk - I see you are local to me - watch for a PM.

Is that a garden hose with a brass fitting inside your CIP loop?
From experience I now stay away from anything non-stainless and use braided silicon in my CIP loop as the PBW/sani cycles are just brutal on softer metals. Not to mention acid #5 or #6...which is just murder on softer metals. If I were you, I would seriously be thinking of swapping that stuff out longer term... if you have the money for a Stout tank then why skimp where you shouldnt?
Just my .02...

Yeah, I went cheap on the sump pump and hose. I've got a couple Chugger pumps in my set-up, but wanted more CFM for CIP ball to really do it's magic. We'll see how long the cheap stuff lasts. I didn't think it was worth buying a really expensive sanitary pump and associated hoses and fittings for occasional CIP use.

This is also an experiment on how much beer stone build-up I get. I used to only use an occasion PBW rinse and get really bad beer stone which required major acid to get to come off. Now I'm trying a short CIP rinse after every use. So far so good ...

Yeah, I went cheap on the sump pump and hose. I've got a couple Chugger pumps in my set-up, but wanted more CFM for CIP ball to really do it's magic. We'll see how long the cheap stuff lasts. I didn't think it was worth buying a really expensive sanitary pump and associated hoses and fittings for occasional CIP use.

This is also an experiment on how much beer stone build-up I get. I used to only use an occasion PBW rinse and get really bad beer stone which required major acid to get to come off. Now I'm trying a short CIP rinse after every use. So far so good ...

Exactly what I went through... so you are not off course. In fact I had to learn the hard way on the softer metal side of that equation.

OMG no - you do not need to spend for a sanitary pump (unless you are cleaning sanke kegs) as those are upwards of $700 for a base model. Instead I opted for 1/3 HP Superior pump - due to the fact that their pumps actually have vegetable oil in them so no concerns on other oils getting into my kegs. Your setup is quite similar to mine and it works like a charm - I am all about flexibility so I also use it with a manifold I built for cleaning sanke kegs too. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=511681

As far as beer stone is concerned, if you use PBW every time you clean it will do a good job of slowing down the scale buildup. I ended up buying some Five Star Acid #5 and do a cleaning with that when I need it (roughly 1x yr). It works like a charm breaking it up - just don't buy it from Five Star directly as shipping will make your heart stop due to it being an dangerous acid.

Few items of note: change out your pump handle (or remove) and screws if you can. They are typically zinc and will rust out quickly in that enviro. Also most pumps of this sort have a top temp of 120 - if you exceed that you will break your pump down faster.

DO NOT use this pump if you end up finding the Acid #5 or 6 - there is an aluminum baseplate in these cheap pumps and it WILL chew it out quickly. Just let it sit and then drain it directly to your next item to clean.

Enjoy your new fermenter! I am actually jealous...:mug:

Is there a recommended type of tubing for this type of application that won't break down too much under these type of chemicals? Reinforced silicone prices in 3/4 and 1" varieties is just obscene

I had just planned on using my March nano pump to clean my two 1 bbl Conicals. Mayhap the cheap sump pump is a better idea. Save wear and tear on the expensive food grade one.

See my post here about using the nano pump (I'm using Acid #5, and Acid #6). In short, no worries with the acid... I'm even less worried about PBW and StarSan/SaniClean.

Back