fermenter lid not air tight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfecxion

Reaction score
The last beer I made was a strong scotch ale that I double pitched nottingham on, and it was very active. Yeast was bubbling out of the fermenter (bucket) lid. Since that means the bucket lid isn't air tight is my beer under threat of infection?

The dried yeast on the top of the bucket smells sweet so I'm guessing there's wort in it. I'm having a hard time scrubbing it off, and am scared to open the fermenter because I'm guessing the dried yeast/wort is a breeding ground for microorganisms...

5134CE3A-65D4-42E3-9E93-A7E6C053BC5C.jpg

Those Brewer's Best style buckets don't have seals in the lid. Every time my beers would get into initial fermentation the lids leaked. I finally got a bad infection in it & pitched it for the shorter 7.9 gallon bucket from Midwest with a seal in the lid. No more leaks.

You'll be fine. A seal is not necessary for primary fermentation. I use those same buckets, with a thermowell thru the grommet instead of an airlock, and just set the lid on top (not snapped down) and I've never had an issue after nearly two years.

Edit: Watch out for fruit flies, though. I've never had any problem with them, but I also ferment inside a chest freezer.

Yeah, that kind of mess drives me crazy, because it is difficult to clean without risk. I would push that lid down tight and clean the lid and top of the bucket around the lid as much as possible to provide a clean area around the top. Then spray with Star San. Wait a couple minutes and pop the lid. Continue carefully cleaning with a paper towel soaked in Star San.

I have done this and the beer survived, but I'm not really sure it is better than just leaving it alone. Like you, I worried about the pathway to destruction caused by exposed muck.

Good luck!

A leaky lid will not cause an infection. poor sanitation will infect your brew. Bacteria is not going to grow legs and crawl up and over and between the lid and bucket. during primary fermentation you have so much gas coming off of the ferment that nothing is going to be "falling" in. With this being said, after primary a plasic bucket will oxidize beer quicker that glass.

Those Brewer's Best style buckets don't have seals in the lid. Every time my beers would get into initial fermentation the lids leaked. I finally got a bad infection in it & pitched it for the shorter 7.9 gallon bucket from Midwest with a seal in the lid. No more leaks.

Those 7.9 gal buckets seal nicely -- forever! (Get the bucket opener at the same time if you value your fingers.)

Yeah I never seal my buckets down because I can't get the damn lids back off without making a mess. Never had an infection but I don't leave them long after primary fermentation, worried more about oxygen than infection.

I did a couple of gadget videos on my youtube channel that shows the bucket lid prying tool. I also have a cheap rubber mallet to tap them down with. That prying tool makes removing the lids way easier. The Midwest shorty bucket has been great! No leaks or infections. I also installed the Italian red & white spigot on it with an extra brown rubber seal I showed the making of on here once. I now don't have to tighten the spigots so much to get a good seal.

Back