fermenter chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsitzejr

Reaction score
I have a spare dorm style refrigerator that was given to me. Plan on putting a better thermostat on it for better tempature controls. Would this make a good chiller for fermenting?

It should as long as it is large enough for your fermeters and you stick to Ales. A fridge won't get low enough for lagers but it should be fine for ales.

Sudster said:
It should as long as it is large enough for your fermeters and you stick to Ales. A fridge won't get low enough for lagers but it should be fine for ales.

You only need temps in the upper 40s to mid 50s for lagers....for fermentation. For conditioning...maybe a little lower. This can be achieved with a refridgerator, or at least my refridgerator doesn't have a problem whatsoever. I think the normal temperature (using the fridge thermostat) is somewhere in the 40s, and that is plenty cold for a lager. Could depend on the fridge itself, but you should be fine.

rsitzejr said:
It's not going to work, carboy won't fit. Bummer.

What if you CAREFULLY adjust the freezer compartment?

If its anything like my kegerator fridge, I had to manipulate the freezer unit to make a keg fit. I carefully bent the metal up and it worked like a charm. I can get a keg in it easily now. If you can get a corny to fit, you can secondary in that instead of a carboy.

Just a thought.

It's not the height that is giving problems, it's the little shelf in the back of the frig. Can't close the door with the carboy inside.

rsitzejr said:
It's not the height that is giving problems, it's the little shelf in the back of the frig. Can't close the door with the carboy inside.

So will a corny fit?

I can give you a link for very cheap cornies, all you need to do is clean them and replace the o-rings. It will end up being cheaper than a new carboy (you know you need another one!) in the long run, and MUCH more convenient and safer anyway.....

Should fit, I get cornies for about $30 here at my local hbc. But I'm thinking a small chest freezer is in the works if I can find a decent used one.

ORRELSE said:
...I can give you a link for very cheap cornies...

ORRELSE....you need to get your future cornies at Pickins Fire Extenguisher in Hampton (It might be Picketts). Anyway, its down off Pembroke Avenue I think. You can find it in your local yellow pages. Its a hole in the wall shop, but he deals in off-brand soda (RC Cola, etc) that is still sold in cornies. The kegs are used and some have dents, but they all hold pressure (cause they're in service). He quoted me 1 for $15 and 2 for $25. You won't beat that price anywhere, especially when you consider a shipping charge. Pass the info to Sam...I ran across him earlier on this board so I know hes a buddy of yours.

vtfan99 said:
ORRELSE....you need to get your future cornies at Pickins Fire Extenguisher in Hampton (It might be Picketts). Anyway, its down off Pembroke Avenue I think. You can find it in your local yellow pages. Its a hole in the wall shop, but he deals in off-brand soda (RC Cola, etc) that is still sold in cornies. The kegs are used and some have dents, but they all hold pressure (cause they're in service). He quoted me 1 for $15 and 2 for $25. You won't beat that price anywhere, especially when you consider a shipping charge. Pass the info to Sam...I ran across him earlier on this board so I know hes a buddy of yours.

Hmmm...thanks for the tip...I'll check them out!!!!

rsitzejr said:
Should fit, I get cornies for about $30 here at my local hbc. But I'm thinking a small chest freezer is in the works if I can find a decent used one.

Where I've gotten mine recently they are half of that....I need to find the link but I'll get it to you....I know its cool to support the LHBS and all, but $30+ for a corny is robbery. I know, I did it once too, and I think I pi$$ed off the owner because I mentioned it.... :D

Where I've gotten mine recently they are half of that....I need to find the link but I'll get it to you....I know its cool to support the LHBS and all, but $30+ for a corny is robbery. I know, I did it once too, and I think I pi$$ed off the owner because I mentioned it.... :D[/QUOTE]

Thats the same price i was told today by my LHBS! I was thinking that was kinda high too.. :eek:He also went on to say that there getting kinda scarce cuz most vendors use the boxes with the bag.. :confused: Seems to me you fellas are getting em they must be out there.

Please post the link if you can find it I would be greatfull. :cool:

Back