Fermenter bucket smells like hot hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muels

Reaction score
Moved an extra pale ale to secondary last weekend and cleaned my primary bucket. I soaked it with oxy for about 4 hours and rinsed it. It smelled VERY hoppy. Resoaked it in oxy again for about 24 hours and it didn't change, still smells like hops and smells "hot". The beer looked and smelled good in the bucket, before and after transfer. A few questions.....

How can I get the smell out?
Will it hurt anything in the next batch?
Why does it smell like that in the first place?

Maybe I fermented too warm (68*f ambient), didn't have any blow off though and fermentation appeared normal. It worried me so I built a son of fermenter already for the next batch. I won't leave it to chance again if that's what the issue is.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

About 4-6 oz of bleach in a hot water mixture will get the smell out in about 48 hours. The one thing about bleach is that it's a bit stubborn when you try to rinse it, so just make sure you rinse it several times once you are done.

or, you can not worry about the smell and brew your next batch. wont notice a taste difference.. at least I never did.
I have glass now.. so no lingering odors once I use oxy free.

The Oxi soak should have worked. When my pails start smelling or stained I soak in hot Oxi solution for 3-4 days. Then I go through a cycle of dumping that into another pail and gradually go through all the ones I can. Also maybe use a bit more Oxi than you're using and maybe throw in some Sodium Bicarb (baking soda). Leave it in for at least 3 days.

- ISM NRP

Plastic absorbs odors. As mentioned before, perhaps baking soda might help... I have plastic Tupperware that smells like curry and the smell WONT go away no matter what I do..

My rubbermaid mash tun smells like grain (absorbed the odors).. And this is one of the reasons I decided to switch to stainless. I only use glass carboys as well.. I know there are a lot of people that like plastic, but if you ask me.. It's got no place touching my beer! :rockin:

Thanks everyone! I dropped a little starsan in with some fresh water and it cut the smell in half. I was just stressing about the next batch. I'm still pretty new and this was my first "odor". By the way, I've read this forum for about 2 months before I started brewing and constantly ever since. It is a fantastic resource and I appreciate all the folks taking time to answer questions and help out.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back