Fermenter Bucket Lid Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geopet

Reaction score
Quick question about the necessity of a positive seal on bucket lids for primary fermenter buckets.

Briefly, I understand that you do not need a perfect seal when it comes to fermenting. Bugs go down and do not climb up. Meaning, you can pretty much use whatever you want to cover your fermenter. I know about open fermentation as well. This isn't a concern about infecting a beer or anything like that. More of curiosity.

I have a brew bucket that I've used from the True Brew set that has a really exceptional seal. When I used it for the IPA I made the airlock showed excellent activity and the lid did its job of staying on.

The other day I swung by my LHBS and picked up another bucket because I planned on having a couple of brews fermenting at the same time. The bucket is called the Deluxe Fermenter. When I got it home I realized that there wasn't the nice gasket on the lid that I had on the other True Brew bucket lid. I wasn't the least concerned about it, though.

I have a weizenbeir fermenting in there right now and I was disappointed to see that the airlock wasn't showing any activity although it was clear that krausen was forming and it was quite likely fermentation was happening. I wasn't worried about the airlock not showing activity because I assumed there was a leak on the lid, but I like airlock activity because it is fun. Hydrometer is the only way to tell when fermentation is complete.

So I emailed the LHBS and asked them if this bucket was supposed to have a gasket or if it wasn't. Again, not because I was worried about no airlock activity, but because I was just wondering if I could get one with a gasket so that I could get that fun airlock activity that I like. They wrote back saying that you were better off having a lid that didn't seal all that well because air could get to the yeast during primary fermentation.

I've never read or heard about this before and I was wondering what you all thought. I'm sure there is validity to the statement, but if it was completely true why would fermentation buckets have these strong seal lids at all? What's the benefit of having a positive seal versus a leaky seal? Just another fun concept to consider in this great hobby of homebrew.

Thanks!
Geoff

I went shopping for another fermentation bucket (#4) and one LHBS only had bottling buckets and the other LHBS only had lids w/o gaskets :( (and they wanted $25 for it. So I'm still waiting for my apfelwein to finish up......

Well, I think the guy at your homebrew store is wrong. Sure, you want oxygenation before your yeast start working, but the amount that is going to leak in from the seal is negligible compared to the amount you should be introducing by shaking it or by whatever means you choose.

That said, there's no real detriment to having a seal or just a bucket lid. You might not get airlock activity, but nothing will be hurt. It is just a little less exciting, I guess.

Well, I think the guy at your homebrew store is wrong. Sure, you want oxygenation before your yeast start working, but the amount that is going to leak in from the seal is negligible compared to the amount you should be introducing by shaking it or by whatever means you choose.

That said, there's no real detriment to having a seal or just a bucket lid. You might not get airlock activity, but nothing will be hurt. It is just a little less exciting, I guess.

And here's something that I hadn't considered. How is oxygen supposed to get into the bucket if CO2 is pouring out of it?

Yeah. I was worried that this would be another example of how my LHBS isn't all that hot. Nice to have nearby, but I haven't been thrilled by the entire quality of information from them.

This was a cheapish bucket, fortunately. May end up becoming a cleaning bucket and I'll just get one that has the appropriate seal later. :(

This was a cheapish bucket, fortunately. May end up becoming a cleaning bucket and I'll just get one that has the appropriate seal later. :(

Or get yourself a 6.5g Better Bottle. Then you can get a good seal to see airlock activity, AND you get the thrill of watching your beer roiling and swirling about. Seriously... after a six-pack, it can be quite mesmerizing. :D

Or get yourself a 6.5g Better Bottle. Then you can get a good seal to see airlock activity, AND you get the thrill of watching your beer roiling and swirling about. Seriously... after a six-pack, it can be quite mesmerizing. :D

I have apfelwein in a carboy right now and I love being able to see everything. Truly. Trying to manage the glass for cleaning (let alone the price) made me leery of getting another. BB's may be the way to go, though!

Stop by your local grocery/deli and ask if they'll save a cake icing or pickle bucket for ya. Mine usually either simply gives them away or charges $1. They almost all have an o-ring seal on the lid, and should fit on top of your bucket. You can always use the deli bucket and your old lid to store stuff in.

Stop by your local grocery/deli and ask if they'll save a cake icing or pickle bucket for ya. Mine usually either simply gives them away or charges $1. They almost all have an o-ring seal on the lid, and should fit on top of your bucket. You can always use the deli bucket and your old lid to store stuff in.

Sheesh. Great idea. May do that tomorrow. The pickle bucket lid doesn't have an overpowering aspect to it?

I think if you get a lid from the grocery store that fits on your current bucket, you'll be pretty lucky.

Check the bakery section at the grocery store. Frosting buckets are easy to clean up and don't have a smell.

my lid was just sat on top of the bucket for the first 2 batches, but this time (first cider attempt) i've snapped it on most of the way around, leaving a small part 'unsnapped' to let co2 escape after thankfully noticing it swell after just 5 mins. had no problems with it just sat on, but will be getting an airlock to help stop me stealing 50ml tasters (boiled shot glass) every day while fermenting.

off topic: day 3 of my cider was a perfect magners clone, but it keeps getting dryer and dryer. i'll see how it is after a few months in the bottle but the next batch will probably be backsweetened. a quick look on the back of swmbo's canderel jar says i won't be using it though, (maltodextrin, ring any bells?) so time to hunt for unfermentables.

:) Isn't that what I said? All round 3-6.5 gal buckets use the same lid size.

I have to disagree on that one. I've never gotten two buckets that could share lids unless I got them from the same place. I suggested bakery buckets because he can likely use the bucket AND lid, rather than taking the lid from a pickle bucket and make it fit on his ale pail as you sugested.

Read my post again. I said cake icing *or* pickle bucket. :)

Though cheap or free, deli buckets don't usually have the capacity to be a fermenter. They are typically 4.5gal, which is why I suggested using only the lid. ;)

I scored some nice 5 gal bottled buckets for free at my LHBS.They use to hold wine kits that were also contained in plastic so there is no staining or mess to clean. It has a pretty good seal but it doesn't really matter because i only us it for bottling.

Latest posts

Back