Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaserchap

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting a batch with Wyeast German Ale yeast and it's sitting at about 73 degrees (give or take a degree or two). Unfortunately in my apartment I don't have a lot of room and my primary (a 6.5 gal carboy) is in a closet. I'm pretty sure the temperatures are constant but how bad could this mess up my beer? I don't want a ton of esthers contributing off flavors.

Also, any suggestions on easy, space restricted solutions to keeping my fermentation cooler?

Ale yeasts are suppose to give off esters and dyactil and a lot of stuff which will add flavor to the beer. All ale yeast does this, and it adds the flavor but it never really adds too much and definitely not off flavors when used correctly. What it gives off will actually differentiate the different types of yeasts. Don't worry about the dyactil since any temp above 60 deg the yeast will eat it all.

That temperature is perfect for ale yeast (60-75). Even a non-constant temperature won't mess up your beer at all, the only thing would be on the lower scale the beer takes longer to ferment.

Ways of keeping your fermentation cooler would be to put it in the basement if you have access to one, cooling the temp of your house/apartment at night, keeping in a dark place (which you want to do anyway), away from heaters, etc. Basically, the yeast is suppose to do what it does best at the temp you are keeping it at, so anything that is formed will be formed because it's suppose to be there. "Don't worry, relax, have a home brew!" Your beer will come out fine.

if you are worried about a heat snap or anything, the best way to get your temperature down or to keep it at a constant is to get a towel wet and wrap it around your fermenter and have a fan blowing on it. I do that for the first week for sure since so much happens in that first week with the yeast. It definitely wont make your fermenter drop huge amounts but will absolutely slow any additional heating.

I use the swamp cooler method in a small closet. Get one of those party tubs with the rope handles, put your fermenter in it, then add water and frozen water bottles to the tub. As the ice melts, replace the bottles with fresh ones from the freezer. About 3 times a day is usually good for me.

I was able to keep a beer in the mid 60's when it was over 100 degrees out. Of course at that extreme, I also had it in a closed bathroom with the fan running to vent warmer air and changed the bottles more often. I can keep the same temp in a mid-upper 70's house with just two or three bottle changes.

Latest posts

Back