Fermentation Temperature for a Nut Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astinson

Reaction score
Quick question regarding a Nut Brown I've got going. It's my first partial mash and I want to make sure it turns out perfect. I put it into my primary bucket Friday night added the yeast at 70 degrees and put the bucket down in my basement. The problem is in the Northeast it's still pretty cold and only about 50 ambient. The temp strip on the bucket is reading 56-58 it took about 36 hours for my airlock to bubble. I know I'm fermenting but according to my yeast (Wyest 1099 liquid w/t no starter) I should be between 64-75 should i get a heat belt or just move it into the heated portion of my house? Either way I assume I'd want to bring the temp up slowly so as not to kill my yeast.

Any help is appreciated! The advice I've gotten on here so far has been priceless!

I personally ferment my browns at about 60. Wort temp at 60 not ambient room temp so you are a couple of degrees below me. I always prefer to ferment anything besides a hefe a little on the cool side. You might try moving the fermenter to a little higher part of your basement or maybe get it off a cold floor and that might get you a couple of degrees warmer. Remember you are trying to target the temp of your fermenting wort not your room so if you bring it upstairs where your ambient temp is say 72 your wort will rise to say 78-80 and you will might get some undesireable flavors. Another option would be to bring upstairs and then put in a tub of cold water which will bring the temp lower. I would try to find a spot in the basement where it can get 2-4 degress warmer.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't really take into account if I brought it upstairs it would be a little over ambient. My house is between 68 and 70 so I would expect the wort to be 74 to 76. I put it up on my work bench off the floor we'll see what happens with the temperature. it's bubbling g a bit faster now so I'm sure I haven't killed the yeast.

Anyone have any experience with a brew belt on a bucket instead of a carboy? I'm still thinking I might want to get it a little warmer like between 62 and 64.

Latest posts

Back