fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've learned so far it usually depends on the type of yeast you use. The manufacture should say what temps work best for which ever strain you bought. If you can't find the manufacture info search on here for a similar recipe using the same yeast type and copy that.

From what I've learned so far it usually depends on the type of yeast you use. The manufacture should say what temps work best for which ever strain you bought. If you can't find the manufacture info search on here for a similar recipe using the same yeast type and copy that.

This ^^
It is totally yeast dependent.
I also think that within a yeasts "range" of acceptable temps that it is best to start at the lower end.
For example: I routinely use Nottingham and start my fermentation down around 59 degrees for the first 3-4 days and then increase 2 degrees a day until the ferm chamber is at 70 degrees and leave it until the 3 week mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 on each yeast having its own optimum temp range . Also, assuming you have young healthy yeast in the correct amount and properly aerated wort, try to ferment in the low end of the yeast's temp range. You will avoid the off flavors you get in the upper temp range.

While each yeast will have its own range, typically the mid to upper 60's is preferred for most ale yeast. Belgians like a little warmer and some of the super yeasts like it a bit colder to keep it from exploding.

Back